Two Plus Two Newer Archives

Two Plus Two Newer Archives (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/index.php)
-   Student Life (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/forumdisplay.php?f=69)
-   -   Exam difficulty (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/showthread.php?t=508579)

propaganda 09-24-2007 08:36 PM

Exam difficulty

I have a Civil Rights Movement class (required humanities course). The prof wants 5-7 page essays, well argued, well structured, and no grammatical errors. He expects this within 75 minutes with no advanced knowledge of the essay questions.

I managed a C, which makes my grade within the top 10 in the class (of 35). Mean grade was a D--there were 3 B's no A's.

Now, this is a party school, I perhaps my expectations are low. So, of those of you at more academically rigorous schools, is this pretty normal, or is this guy a dick?

Quicksilvre 09-24-2007 09:09 PM

Re: Exam difficulty

I don't really do essays, since I'm a math major, but I would say I've averaged 15-18 pages of homework a week so far this semester. The no grammatical errors would be tough for me though--the time frame doesn't allow for very much time for revising.

Thythe 09-24-2007 09:20 PM

This does not sound normal. At the very worst, it should be curved so that C is the average. My professors often curved so that a B was the average.

propaganda 09-24-2007 09:24 PM

Revising is a little difficult, it is handwritten.

NozeCandy 09-24-2007 09:38 PM

If the question asks enough, 5-7 handwritten pages isn't so bad, but by no means short. I always do a paragraph by paragraph outline on extra paper before I start writing this out and bullet point everything I want to say. It helps you be much, much more organized.

That test does suck, though, and I wouldn't say it is normal for just about anyone.

propaganda 09-24-2007 10:02 PM

Just got the scores back last class, about a week beyond the credit/no credit option deadline. I'm going to see if I can weasel my way into an exemption.

CalledDownLight 09-24-2007 11:30 PM

yea...this is not normal and I would expect that he curves the grades upwards at the end of the semester. I have had professors that "don't curve" anything at all during the semester. Often the average grade in the class will be a 55-65%. Then at the end of the semester this becomes a B or B- or something. I actually had and econ class that was curved to so a 20% was passing and you only needed a 50% for a B- and 55% for a B in the class at the end of the semester. 70+% average for the course got you an A.

tcreast 09-24-2007 11:33 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I have a Civil Rights Movement class (required humanities course). The prof wants 5-7 page essays, well argued, well structured, and no grammatical errors. He expects this within 75 minutes with no advanced knowledge of the essay questions.

I managed a C, which makes my grade within the top 10 in the class (of 35). Mean grade was a D--there were 3 B's no A's.

Now, this is a party school, I perhaps my expectations are low. So, of those of you at more academically rigorous schools, is this pretty normal, or is this guy a dick?

[/ QUOTE ]

[X] There's a good chance he'll curve it at the end of the semester.
[X] If he doesn't, he's a huge dick.

BlueBear 09-25-2007 02:26 AM

He's too unrealistic and ultra-demanding.

schundler 09-25-2007 02:29 AM

5-7 pages as in looseleaf/notebook pages? double sided, double-spaced? blue book pages? I've written ~6 page double-sided single-spaced blue book essays for a 75 minute final. We didn't have advance notice of the question, but were allowed to bring our book (Aristotle Politics or Plato's Republic) for citation purposes