Two Plus Two Newer Archives

Two Plus Two Newer Archives (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/index.php)
-   Student Life (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/forumdisplay.php?f=69)
-   -   Had an epiphany and need advice (getting an MBA) (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/showthread.php?t=504097)

dtan05 09-18-2007 08:28 PM

Had an epiphany and need advice (getting an MBA)

I decided that I don't want to play poker for the rest of my life - surprise surprise. So in freshman year, I was taking 4 classes a quarter and got a 4.0. I was doing really well, but then sophmore year came around, and I started doing well in poker. So I made school a very low priority, and ended up with a 3.07 cum :/, after only taking 3 classes every quarter.

Sad, I know, but I want to do whatever I can to make sure I can get into a good graduate school now, hopefully business. I was thinking this year, I would join a Business fraternity, try to obtain an officer position in it, and help put up Fusion, a hip hop dance competition that's big @ my school (biggest hip hop competition in california), on top of getting a 4.0 this quarter.

Additionally, I would try to obtain an internship during the summer doing some bitchwork at a financial firm. Thoughts/Criticisms on any or all parts of my plan would be appreciated

tabako 09-18-2007 08:56 PM

Re: Had an epiphany and need advice (getting an MBA)

Don't get an MBA before you work for a couple years.

BlueBear 09-18-2007 10:12 PM

Like tabako says, you'll only really benefit from an MBA with couple years work. If you're really interested in grad school straight after graduation, consider something else.

dtan05 09-19-2007 01:05 AM

oh no, i just want to do the right thing. am i on the right track if i want to get an MBA? should i take my GMAT this year? (gonna be a junior)

tabako 09-19-2007 01:16 AM

The track to an MBA may or may not involve an undergraduate business degree. In most cases, it requires a few years of real, full time work.

I don't know why you would want to take the GMAT before you are working and know that an MBA will be beneficial to your career path, but I guess you could take it while an undergrad.

I'm not sure why you are specifically looking to get an MBA instead of a different kind of graduate degree, but like bluebear said, if you want to continue school immediately after your undergrad, you should find a different field.

dtan05 09-19-2007 01:21 AM

I'm fine with working a couple years before pursuing an MBA, because I just don't want to screw up my life, and this is the only way I know how? I mean I can't go to med school cuz I'm an economics - management science major, and I'm not very interetsed in law. I am however slightly interested in business, so that's why I'm pursuing it. Bad logic?

cgrohman 09-19-2007 09:34 AM

4.0 good. Internship good. Everything else= giant waste of time.

dtan05 09-19-2007 12:31 PM

business frat = sucks?

dtan05 09-19-2007 12:32 PM

and i was thinking fusion because i could do marketing for that and that would be good on a resume, filling a stadium with like 3-4k of people seems pretty big - bad logic?

PRE 09-19-2007 06:50 PM

[ QUOTE ]
and i was thinking fusion because i could do marketing for that and that would be good on a resume, filling a stadium with like 3-4k of people seems pretty big - bad logic?

[/ QUOTE ]

Yes, bad logic