Two Plus Two Newer Archives

Two Plus Two Newer Archives (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/index.php)
-   Other Other Topics (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/forumdisplay.php?f=36)
-   -   Obesity in the US (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/showthread.php?t=496428)

matt85 09-08-2007 01:11 PM

Obesity in the US

I got back from Florida yeserday after Hurricane Dean meant a slight change to my holiday plans and have to say I am totally and utterly gobsmacked at what I saw regarding the sheer size of most people. In 2 weeks I saw the most amazing amount of morbidly obese people imaginable and it truly does worry me.

I think that this obesity is the most obvious manifestation of the over-consumption of the US (this isn't just a rip at US btw). For example, every car seems to be a huge 4.0l truck with one person in it. In the UK (and i didn't previously think we were overly environmentally/health conscious) most people drive small, compact cars. Why does it take 4 litres to do 65 on a straight highway when you can do it cheaper and an infinite amount more economical with a car 1/3 the size? I think the sheer cheapness of gas/food may contribute to it but it seemed to be everywhere I look

While I appreciate Florida may be slightly unrepresentative of the US as a whole, essentially what I am asking is how can it be that a country that is a self-proclaimed super-power and capable of destroying nations and putting men on the moon is not capable of getting the message across (through media or taxation or whatever...) to simply consume less and exercise more? From where I was looking from America seriously seems to be killing itself.

Interested to hear from Americans especially about any relevant info I might not be aware of.

guids 09-08-2007 01:15 PM

Re: Obesity in the US

as far as teh obesity thing...I agree, people are stupid about it.

as far as the truck thing...this is retarded, and what does it have to do with obesity? hint: people arent buying small cars because they cant fit in them if that is what you are getting at.

Arito 09-08-2007 01:15 PM

They (corporations/government) don't want to get that message across. They want money.

XXXNoahXXX 09-08-2007 01:16 PM

this sounds like your first visit to the us and you pick florida? awesome!

also, go back to thailand.

guids 09-08-2007 01:17 PM

[ QUOTE ]
They (corporations/government) don't want to get that message across. They want money.

[/ QUOTE ]

wtf. why should it be the governments/corporations job to get the message across. dont you people beleive in personal responsiblity? its not like there is any part of the population that does not realize that 5 big macs a day is not good for them.

Quicksilvre 09-08-2007 01:22 PM

[ QUOTE ]
personal responsiblity?

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeah, I would say that this is the major reason. No one likes to be told or even influenced on how they want to live their life here, so there you go.

Also, it's a lot cheaper to drive an SUV if you're only paying 1/2-1/3 of what you do in London.

heater 09-08-2007 01:27 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

wtf. why should it be the governments/corporations job to get the message across. dont you people beleive in personal responsiblity? its not like there is any part of the population that does not realize that 5 big macs a day is not good for them.

[/ QUOTE ]

I had this argument with a friend the other day. He was saying that people are fat due to ignorance. WTF. People are fat for various reasons, but it's certainly not due to a lack of information.

cwsiggy 09-08-2007 01:28 PM

[ QUOTE ]
this sounds like your first visit to the us and you pick florida? awesome!

also, go back to thailand.

[/ QUOTE ]

lol nh

RacersEdge 09-08-2007 01:33 PM

People are going to do what their wants and money allow them to do - they're not going to listen to the government for tips on consumer behavior. It's just a supply and demand thing - not a social thing.

Arito 09-08-2007 01:37 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I never said it should be anyone's responsibility but their own (I do believe they have a responsibility as well though). I was merely responding to the question why the message wasn't getting across, and imo that is because corporations and (thus) the government would lose a lot of money if they would actively try to get the message across.

As for personal responsibilities, I agree that it's generally people's own fault if they are fat/unemployed/uneducated (barring certain circumstances obv.) etc. However, sometimes the 'people' need to be protected from themselves (you're going to quote this part, I can feel it!). This is why wearing a safe belt in the car is mandatory, why guns are not legally available to the general population pretty much anywhere but the US, why drugs are forbidden etc.

Fat food should be in the same category. It should not be outlawed, but the government should take action that restricts the over-consumption of fast foods. They could subsidize health food chains, they could raise taxes for fast food chains, they could start a 'live healthy' campaign with ads and whatnot. Whatever, as long as it's aimed at helping the people, which is what a government should do.