Two Plus Two Newer Archives

Two Plus Two Newer Archives (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/index.php)
-   Micro Stakes Limit (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/forumdisplay.php?f=37)
-   -   44 hits set on flop, fills on turn. villain showing lots of aggression (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/showthread.php?t=496271)

neurotiq 09-08-2007 06:51 AM

44 hits set on flop, fills on turn. villain showing lots of aggression

This is villain's first hand at the table, so I have no reads or stats.

I'm in hijack and am dealt 4[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]4[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]

It's folded to me, so I open-raise. It's folded to BB who 3bets. I call.

Flop: 4[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]7[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]5[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]

Villain bets. I raise here rather than on the turn because I want to charge a potential flush draw. Villain 3bets. I cap. Villain calls.

Turn: 4[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]7[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]5[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]5[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]

Villain checks. I bet. Villain raises. I call. The check-raise causes me to slow down here because I'm beginning to worry about 77 or 55.

River: 4[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]7[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]5[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]5[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]3[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]

Villain bets. I call.

I'd be curious to hear what you think. [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img] I know I've been criticized before for giving unknowns too much credit, but when the villain shows this much aggression (capped flop followed by check-raised turn), what should I be thinking?

derwipok 09-08-2007 07:03 AM

Re: 44 hits set on flop, fills on turn. villain showing lots of aggression

I might be wrong but I 3-bet the turn. If he caps, I call cap and river. If he calls, I bet the river. I think there's a good chance villain has an overpair and thinks you've got a smaller overpair or he plays strange with something worse than your full house.

Jernej Zorec 09-08-2007 07:05 AM

Re: 44 hits set on flop, fills on turn. villain showing lots of aggres

against most opponent at micros i do not slow down here
he could easily have overpair to board
and reraises from blinds are usually good hands so i doubt he has 77.

Fantam 09-08-2007 07:46 AM

You may find it interesting to hear that I think you underplayed your hand.

Prelop was good imo.

Your flop raise was good, but FWIW I would not have capped. Thats not because you dont have a strong hand. You have position on your opponent. So, I would have called the flop 3-bet, with the intention of raising their probable turn bet.

Your opponent's turn check raise was somewhat unexpected. However, there are a few things to consider:

1. Your preflop raise was from a late position, so your opponent may not have given you credit for a very good starting hand (he would have been correct), and had therefore decided to defend his blind strongly if he connected well with the flop.

2. The board did not look as though it would have improved that many hands of what he may have considered would have been a reasonable preflop raising range for you. (Thats assuming that he considered that at all)

3. Your opponent may simply have thought that he had the best hand. (Your set of 4's on the flop, turned full house on the turn were very well hidden.)
Their were plenty of worse hands that your opponent may have decided to check raise the turn with :
A7 or an even weaker top pair hand.
Any hand that contained a 5.
A made straight, such as 68. (Note that he would have flopped the straight also)

Anyway, it was too soon to worry about 77 or 55 (only 1 comb that he can have for 55) after the turn check raise. So, I would have 3-bet the turn. You had the 3rd best possible hand (3rd nut) on the turn !

Your opponent probably bet the river, thinking that he had the best hand, because you only called his turn check/raise.

So, assuming that he would have checked the river to you otherwise, I would have bet the river.

If your opponent had capped a turn 3-bet and led the river, I might have considered just calling a river bet. However, even then it may have still been better to raise imho.

Basically, I think that you missed a few bets.

ChickenGeorge 09-08-2007 08:02 AM

[ QUOTE ]
and reraises from blinds are usually good hands so i doubt he has 77.

[/ QUOTE ]
I think it's quite possible to 3-bet steal attempt with 77. You gain initiative and against overcards you are a 55% favorite, not to mention low aces (=kicker lower than 7). And these combinations are much more likely than a pair higher than yours. Of course it depends on the oponent a lot, but I anyway I wouldn't exclude 77 that easily.

BTW, which limit is that? The lower the limit, the less possible IMO that Villain is capable of 3-betting a non-premium hand.

neurotiq 09-08-2007 08:27 AM

Sorry, I always forget to include limit and site. $0.50/$1 on FTP

ChickenGeorge 09-08-2007 09:40 AM

I've also heard that I might be giving too much credit to my opponents, but anyway... I would slow down after the turn c/r too. You've already shown a lot of strength and Villain keeps jamming. Some people would play AA or KK like that but a reasonable player would slow down after a flop cap.

And if you 3-bet turn, you risk cap and a cap would much more often be a better FH than just a big overpair. As said here you have to give him a credit for a better hand at some point, when you hold close-to-nuts hand but Villain doesn't slow down. In this particular hand I would give him this credit, when he c/r turn after the flop cap. It would be different of course, if I knew he was a maniac able to overplay big pairs here.

James. 09-08-2007 09:51 AM

call down from a cap on the turn.

an overpair might play exactly like this thinking he just outran two pair when the board paired. sure 77's possible, but there's more combinations of 88-AA out.

you hit a huge hand that he likely doesn't put you on, that's a critical point here. he is apt to overplay alot of his premium holdings because he misreads your range.

Fantam 09-08-2007 10:02 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I've also heard that I might be giving too much credit to my opponents, but anyway... I would slow down after the turn c/r too. You've already shown a lot of strength and Villain keeps jamming. Some people would play AA or KK like that but a reasonable player would slow down after a flop cap.

And if you 3-bet turn, you risk cap and a cap would much more often be a better FH than just a big overpair. As said here you have to give him a credit for a better hand at some point, when you hold close-to-nuts hand but Villain doesn't slow down. In this particular hand I would give him this credit, when he c/r turn after the flop cap. It would be different of course, if I knew he was a maniac able to overplay big pairs here.

[/ QUOTE ]

CG, I think that there is a difference in this hand to the one that you cross-referenced.

In the hand that you posted earlier, I think it was easier to narrow your opponent's likely hand range than it is in this hand, because he raised and capped preflop.

ChickenGeorge 09-08-2007 10:18 AM

Hum... considering this you're probably right, there is a decent chance that this in fact is a big overpair. As I said I sometimes do give too much credit to my opponents, but it's simply because most people I play with would slow down after the flop cap. That's why I wouldn't 3-bet turn against an unknown. Of course things could very well be different on some other site..