Two Plus Two Newer Archives

Two Plus Two Newer Archives (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/index.php)
-   Micro Stakes Limit (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/forumdisplay.php?f=37)
-   -   JJ with two overs (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/showthread.php?t=496156)

MandM_WSU 09-08-2007 01:08 AM

JJ with two overs

Like everyone else, I hate Jacks. Here's a hand that I just had. Should I be folding this flop? Or pealing one off?

PokerStars 0.02/0.04 Hold'em (10 handed) Hand History Converter Tool from FlopTurnRiver.com (Format: 2+2 Forums)

Preflop: Hero is MP3 with J[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], J[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]. CO:(Villain)/ posts a blind of $0.02.
UTG calls, UTG+1 calls, <font color="#666666">3 folds</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises</font>, CO :Villain (poster) calls, <font color="#666666">2 folds</font>, BB calls, UTG calls, UTG+1 calls.

Flop: (10.50 SB) K[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], 4[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], Q[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(5 players)</font>
BB checks, UTG checks, UTG+1 checks, Hero checks, Villain bets</font>, BB folds, UTG folds, UTG+1 calls, Hero ???? [img]/images/graemlins/confused.gif[/img].

Edit: I just noticed (once I converted this hand) that Villain just posted in the cut-off and therefore could have anything (but most likely calling a raise with paint).

Bulletproof Monk 09-08-2007 01:10 AM

Re: JJ with two overs

call/fold have to be close.... doubt there is too much difference in ev. i probly peel one off and fold the turn ui

btw like everyone else, i love jacks. just fwiw

stevematador 09-08-2007 01:47 AM

Have to agree with Bulletproof, call the flop bet and then lay it down on the turn, of course I don't think raising the flop would be a terrible play either, and if he re-raises you it's an easy fold on the flop, if he calls I think you still have to lay it on the turn facing a bet.

tyler_cracker 09-08-2007 01:54 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I don't think raising the flop would be a terrible play either

[/ QUOTE ]

what do you hope to accomplish? what is your plan for the turn, oop against the bettor -- bet again?

Smurph64 09-08-2007 02:03 AM

continuation bet with overcards into large board is probably not a good plan but I think its doable 1 in 5 especially with this many callers.

Most people save their reraise to the turn so I doubt you are going to get reraised here. If you do its a pretty easy fold.

So one small bet into a loaded board is going to define your hand pretty fast.

I think you have more than 20% equity here.

Xhad 09-08-2007 02:04 AM

[ QUOTE ]
of course I don't think raising the flop would be a terrible play either

[/ QUOTE ]

Putting "of course" in front of a statement doesn't make it not ridiculous.

OP: I fold as a default but your hand is probably worth about 3 outs and you're getting just about the right odds for that, closing the action so peeling looks close.

EDIT: I don't think the flop check is close at all.

stevematador 09-08-2007 02:24 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
I don't think raising the flop would be a terrible play either

[/ QUOTE ]

what do you hope to accomplish? what is your plan for the turn, oop against the bettor -- bet again?

[/ QUOTE ]

My bad, just re read the hand and didn't realize that UTG+1 called the villians bet, when I read it I was thinking everyone folded and he was heads up with villian. Of course raising here is an obvious spew and doesn't accomplish anything, is it ok to use "of course" here Xhad??

Point Blank 09-08-2007 02:25 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
of course I don't think raising the flop would be a terrible play either

[/ QUOTE ]

Putting "of course" in front of a statement doesn't make it not ridiculous.

OP: I fold as a default but your hand is probably worth about 3 outs and you're getting just about the right odds for that, closing the action so peeling looks close.

EDIT: I don't think the flop check is close at all.

[/ QUOTE ]

Xhad ... I can't see hero's hand as having a worth of 3outs ... if we hit our Js we can get into really big trouble (and the the board will present redraws)

i'm not too sure what i would give it (but having the possibility of of losing a lot of big bets significantly impacts out holdings making this a fold)

OziBattler 09-08-2007 09:03 AM

I'd bet the flop the first time. Sure you have lots of opponents but it is a big freakin pot and they cant fold if you dont bet. You wont take it down here very often though. Im much happier shutting down when faced with aggro after I bet than I am in being weak and just giving up. Stick that 1 small bet in on the flop please.

Even if a bet is not right here I am going to make a more general comment and say that, recently (not aimed necessarily at OP but may apply) I recall seeing alot of hands posted where hero played a hand poorly/passively either preflop or on the flop and then asks the question..."what do I do now?" Well Ill tell you what you do, you avoid putting yourself in that tough spot in the first place. Play aggressively, yet sensibly, on the flop and THEN see how much your opponents like their hands. Getting raised when you bet is often way different to getting bet into after you check.

In short, in if you are considering playing a hand in such a way that you are likely going to find yourself with a tougher decision later in the hand then perhaps dont play your hand that way. Okay Okay so dont go overboard and be a spewtard but dont be giving up big pots so damn meekly, give your opponents a chance to make mistakes.

James. 09-08-2007 09:47 AM

the pot's big. fire the flop. believe it or not we have the best hand some decent part of the time and may even get a weak Queen or even just a hand with outs against us to fold. even if that isn't the case, betting is better if you plan on seeing the turn.

as Aussie stated, it's much easier to play out hands like this if we begin to define what everyone is holding. too many people autobet when check to in these games and it can leave us wondering where the hell we are. as the old addage goes, if we're in a situation that makes it CLOSE to a call, simply betting it ourself has several benefits over playing passively.