Two Plus Two Newer Archives

Two Plus Two Newer Archives (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/index.php)
-   Mid-High Stakes Shorthanded (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/forumdisplay.php?f=54)
-   -   Am I obligated to call down here? (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/showthread.php?t=495400)

UMTerp 09-06-2007 10:27 PM

Am I obligated to call down here?

Semi-common situation where I'm starting to question myself. This has happened to me 4 or 5 times over the past few days. Typical middish limits online game - 15/30 thru 50/100, solid/aggressive players.

Here's a hand from today. I pick up KsJs in the BB, hijack raises, CO 3-bets, I call(?).

Flop K82 rainbow. Checked to the raiser, I check-raise, we lose the player in between, and the CO calls, sometimes after a dramatic pause. I bet out the turn blank, get an instaraise behind me, and now what? I've been calling down, and I seem to be beat every single time (whether it be AA or AK or KQ or 88.)

Can I fold the river if he bets again? I mean what else can he have on that dry of a board? Or have I just been running bad? It seems weak to fold top pair in that spot, but I'm never ever good. Call the turn and try to spike a jack or hope he checks behind on the river? Help me out here.

Obviously it's an easy calldown if the preflop 3-bettor is semi-maniacal, but how about if he's just a 30/20 type?

veganmav 09-06-2007 10:55 PM

Re: Am I obligated to call down here?

can you make my name the same color as yours please?

TeeJayOrTJ 09-06-2007 11:34 PM

Blah...anyone else just lay this down PF in these situations? If it was Button vs SB I would call....not so sure about described situation. But obviously when I get to this point, I am a calldown monkey and don't fold.

Sometimes here I am not afraid to just c/c all three streets. It looks weak but depending on how the board comes it makes a lot of sense.

Scary_Tiger 09-06-2007 11:40 PM

I fold preflop always wtf are you playing for.

MitchL 09-07-2007 01:47 AM

Reread your post and ask yourself what the easiest thing you could do to remedy this "reoccurring" situation and you will come up with fold pf.

XXsooted 09-07-2007 04:23 AM

ok what if it's not 3bet, but coldcalled, so we're correct to call with the KJs, and then the pfr is the 30/20 guy that takes the bet/call, raise turn line? imo this question is interesting because I agree with op that it seems like we're never good here

kiddo 09-07-2007 05:53 AM

Do u mean there is a preflopraise, CO coldcalls and u call in BB.

On flop preflopraiser bet, CO folds (?), u raise, preflopraiser calls.

Turn u bet, and preflopraiser raises.

Here u are in pretty good shape if u happens to have such a huge hand as toppair, decent kicker when u are in BB and u have to call down.

This is a very different hand from when its 3bet preflop, u coldcall, u checkraise flop, and he raises turn. Handranges can be narrowed down a ton now.

XXsooted 09-07-2007 06:00 AM

I just meant the op shouldn't just be shot down because of the preflop play. I know I obviously didn't put alot of my thought into my own question.

UMTerp 09-07-2007 08:58 AM

Point taken. Guess I found a preflop leak. And if I do happen to find myself in that spot, check-call x3 is a better line I guess, since it seems that 3.5BB are only going in when I'm behind. Thanks for the replies.

joker122 09-07-2007 05:49 PM

i think it's funny that all anyone can say is fold preflop.

in fact this is a very tough spot. you are usually crushed, but the fear is that if you fold here it becomes exploitable in future hands. i think even on a board this dry and even against a reasonable opponent, i'd call down here just because he can play KJ/KT/K9s this way or sd raise JJ-99 (although he would have to be really bad to sd raise here). KT/K9 closer to a fold probably.