Two Plus Two Newer Archives

Two Plus Two Newer Archives (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/index.php)
-   Travel (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/forumdisplay.php?f=94)
-   -   Scared of flying... (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/showthread.php?t=494248)

ski 09-05-2007 02:48 PM

Scared of flying...

Ok, Blueman's thread made me think a bit.

I've flown like 100 times and only sorta developed a fear maybe in the past year. Any good ideas to get around this?

I think if I can understand what is going on and gow very unlikely it is to crash I'd do better. or maybe take some kinda pill. Anyone else feel the same way. Its basically like a very mild panic attack.

gamblore99 09-05-2007 03:21 PM

Re: Scared of flying...

Ya,
I was always fine with flying, but after 1 or 2 turbulant flights last year I got this way. It is always worst at takeoff, and heavy turbulance scares the [censored] out of me. I figure I will just keep flying until it goes away.

dcasper70 09-05-2007 04:58 PM

I get a thrill out of the takeoff, and I find the flying part pretty cool.

Landing scares the crap out of me. I mean, that's where the most people die... You know; Plane, meet Earth.
Planes don't crash into clouds...

When Flying with the wife, I'm usually more peaceful. Still scared, just a little more relaxed. If we're gonna go, I'm pleased we can be together.

When flying alone, I just stare out the window watching the ground rushing up to meet the plane. I feel like if I can see the landing, I can logically assume it is going well.

TheMetetron 09-05-2007 05:13 PM

I'm pretty much only scared of the takeoff. Once we hit a cruising altitude all is good and same with once we begin to land. I figure if some [censored] is going to be wrong, we will find out shortly after takeoff.

ChromePony 09-05-2007 05:41 PM

I fly frequently and sometimes still get this. My logical way of dealing with it is to picture how big the CNN story would be if a major airline company had a crash over a metropolitan area or whatever. I figure I've never really seen anything like that before, and there are plenty of other things that could happen which are way more likely, so whats the sense in worrying about it.

Cancuk 09-05-2007 07:13 PM

Valium. Seriously. Put's you right to sleep.

WhoIam 09-06-2007 01:56 AM

Xanax. The plane could be hijacked and you would think "this is unfortunate. I hope we aren't delayed too long. Those mountains are really pretty."

T50_Omaha8 09-06-2007 01:19 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I'm pretty much only scared of the takeoff. Once we hit a cruising altitude all is good and same with once we begin to land. I figure if some [censored] is going to be wrong, we will find out shortly after takeoff.

[/ QUOTE ]Statistically, that's dead on.

gamblore99 09-06-2007 10:51 PM

Someone posted this article in the OOT thread about scary flying experiences. It really makes turbulance seem less scary. Turbulance