Two Plus Two Newer Archives

Two Plus Two Newer Archives (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/index.php)
-   Health and Fitness (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/forumdisplay.php?f=87)
-   -   Squat Problem w/ paragraphs (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/showthread.php?t=493851)

cbiz 09-05-2007 12:08 AM

Squat Problem w/ paragraphs

I have been squatting 2-3 times per week for a few months now usually warming up and then doing 3x5. I have been making some decent progress and I thought everything was all well until a friend of mine commented on a set of mine today. He claimed that my lower back was rounding right when I almost got to parallel. The gym that I go to has a mirror infront of the squat rack but not to the side. I always set up with my shoulders back and such so I thought I was keeping a neutral spine and although I would sometimes get pain in my lower back for a few seconds after some sets I thought nothing of it as it went away after a few seconds and I felt fine the next day.

I then reracked the weight turned sideways and attempted to do a bodyweight squat. He was right, withing about 20 degrees (guess) of parallel my lower back rounds and if i go slow and try to forefully keep it from rounding it streches my hamstrings and basically is almost impossible for me to do it. I have read other places that tight hamstring can cause this and I for one have those as I am lucky to get my hands within a foot and a half of the ground when doing the classic bend over hamstring stretch. My dad is similarly inflexible, but I have never worried about it as it really never bothered me through high school running/soccer and I have been active my entire life.

This now worries me though as I really don't want to stop squatting as it is a great exercise and it helps me make gains on all my other lifts. FWIW my hamstrings give me trouble on deadlifts but I can still complete them with proper form although I feel that I could lift heavier with more flexibility. Basically is my assessment correct? If so, what are my options? One solution suggested by http://www.t-nation.com/readArticle....rmanceTraining is moving to rack pulls and front squats while working on flexibility. I realy don't want to have to stop doing these as I truly like the burn/sense of accomplishment/exhaustion they give and I have made more gains in the last 1.5 months doing deadlifts/squats then in the prior 4.5 months without them.

durron597 09-05-2007 12:14 AM

Re: Squat Problem w/ paragraphs

This is actually a good thread, I wish I knew anything to help you; hopefully this comment inspires people to read your post

shemp 09-05-2007 12:32 AM

You can't safely go below where you lose your arch, and losing it above parallel is, wow-- I thought I was inflexible. That is the mother of all butt winks. Another thing: don't depend on mirrors, you need to feel things.

I think if you keep working on bodyweight squats, the actual load of your body will help you develop depth. So squat a lot more, and if you haven't improved markedly in 5 weeks, I'll give you your money back.

I like the front squat also for a lot of reasons-- can you find the right place in the bottom of a bodyweight squat-- ie, can you get to the bottom by whatever means, and then produce a nice position?

kidcolin 09-05-2007 12:58 AM

[ QUOTE ]
You can't safely go below where you lose your arch, and losing it above parallel is, wow-- I thought I was inflexible.

[/ QUOTE ]

seriously. I know I'm very inflexible, and even I begin rounding out right at parallel. 20 degrees above that is really bad.

edit: also, cbiz, kyle has a really cool video on squat form linked in the FAQ. Check it out. Gives some good practice techniques. I haven't started hitting the gym yet for a variety of reasons, but I've been practicing air squats 3-4 times a week. I've thrown in the potato sack squat because I find it helps me get lower with the proper form. I can also go ass to grass, even if I break form on the way there, and then resume proper form from the bottom position.

cbiz 09-05-2007 12:59 AM

Ya I can get down and arch my back but it basically streches my hamstrings to the point of pain/I lose balance.

Thremp 09-05-2007 01:16 AM

Stetch more?

cbiz 09-05-2007 01:21 AM

haha ya i guess thats the simple answer so ill just have to stop squatting for awhile and strech a lot. But honestly wont it take quite awhile to improve enough to properly squat. what should i do in the meantime?

Thremp 09-05-2007 01:26 AM

[ QUOTE ]
haha ya i guess thats the simple answer so ill just have to stop squatting for awhile and strech a lot. But honestly wont it take quite awhile to improve enough to properly squat. what should i do in the meantime?

[/ QUOTE ]

As deep as you can. Maybe sub in more step-ups, lunges, leg press, deadlift, machines...

cbiz 09-05-2007 01:28 AM

alright I guess although i hate leg pres/machines so i guess ill just go with more deads/rack pulls and just pussy ass squats for awhile

shemp 09-05-2007 01:43 AM

In addition to the work you'll get from practicing, some stretching:

http://www.exrx.net/Lists/ExList/Thi...#anchor1942303

I've seen a lot of folks recommend the lying towel stretch. Also seen a few warn to be careful with the seated stretch, as you can tax the lower back.