Two Plus Two Newer Archives

Two Plus Two Newer Archives (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/index.php)
-   Books and Publications (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/forumdisplay.php?f=35)
-   -   Non Poker books that can help Your Poker Game? (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/showthread.php?t=492472)

Pokerpun 09-03-2007 05:33 AM

Non Poker books that can help Your Poker Game?

Can any one suggest non poker titles that might improve one's poker game?

My math side is pretty good but maybe my people/ empathy side could do with improving e.g. I find it very difficult to understand why any one would play a -EV game like craps yet apparently I believe plenty of poker players - even very good poker players do so.

Maybe psychology , self help or even novels which help develop understanding of others motivations.

Thanks for any Ideas.

Gelford 09-03-2007 09:31 AM

Re: Non Poker books that can help Your Poker Game?

Go out and find a stark raving mad wacko girl ... then date her for a whil, then you'll read good afterwards [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

Sounded Simple 09-03-2007 11:24 AM

"The Definitive Book Of Body Language" by Allen & Pease will help with non-verbal tells.

deacsoft 09-04-2007 03:18 AM

Two come to mind right away for me. This and this.

No Fizzle 09-04-2007 11:37 AM

Art of War is fantastic. It can be found very cheaply at B&N

RunnedOver 09-04-2007 11:39 AM

Fooled By Randomness, Nassim Taleb - Great insight into how people deal with risk.

PantsOnFire 09-04-2007 11:49 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Two come to mind right away for me. This and this.

[/ QUOTE ]
What's your opinion of Zen and Art of Poker which really does seem more relevent.

PantsOnFire 09-04-2007 11:52 AM

How about a book to improve your memory.

Pokerpun 09-04-2007 01:08 PM

I 've heard Lederer mention Zen and the Art of archery -I'll take a look.

Pants on Fire -Good point re. a memory book -IMHO good memory seems something that lots of the top players have.
Any good books for improving memory of cards like in stud - or what I would find useful is help in memorising how the play hasgone e.g. Another player shows down top set and I need to remember how it was he played it

deacsoft 09-04-2007 02:35 PM

[ QUOTE ]
What's your opinion of Zen and Art of Poker which really does seem more relevent.

[/ QUOTE ]

I like it. It's a quick, easy read that can help much with the mental side of the game. There is a little bit of bad advice in it but the majority of the book is good.