Two Plus Two Newer Archives

Two Plus Two Newer Archives (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/index.php)
-   Small Stakes (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/forumdisplay.php?f=41)
-   -   98s straight draw - too aggro? (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/showthread.php?t=489171)

raze720 08-29-2007 03:33 PM

98s straight draw - too aggro?

Btn is a complete donk.

Poker Stars - No Limit Hold'em Cash Game - $0.50/$1 Blinds - 6 Players - (LegoPoker Hand History Converter)

SB: $142.15
BB: $240.40
Hero (UTG): $117.30
MP: $161.80
CO: $196.35
BTN: $51.70

Preflop: Hero is dealt 9[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] 8[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] (6 Players)
<font color="red">Hero raises to $4.00</font>, 2 folds, <font color="red">BTN raises to $8.00</font>, 2 folds, Hero calls $4.00

Flop: ($17.50) 2[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] T[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] 7[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] (2 Players)
Hero checks, <font color="red">BTN bets $5.00</font>, <font color="red">Hero raises to $20.00</font>, BTN calls $15.00

Turn: ($57.50) 9[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] (2 Players)
<font color="red">Hero bets $25.00 putting BTN all-in for $23.70</font>

Pot Size: $82.50

Demogorgon 08-29-2007 03:37 PM

Re: 98s straight draw - too aggro?

[ QUOTE ]
Btn is a complete donk.

[/ QUOTE ]
Do you know anything about his PF Min3bet ranges? If it's wide then I like it, if it's tight then I'd just c/c the flop.

cfb1739 08-29-2007 03:40 PM

I think it's a pretty bad idea to try to semi-bluff a donk. You need fold equity, and you don't have much against a short stacked donk.

As played, you have no choice but to put him all-in on the turn. Notice that if you had just called the flop, then you could get through this hand w/o losing half a buy-in.

Spy Dog 08-29-2007 03:42 PM

I would just call on the flop. Just because he's a donk doesn't mean his 3-bet is meaningless. Some donks just like to min 3bet AA/KK so they don't 'scare' you off.

DrewTheHead 08-29-2007 03:43 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I think it's a pretty bad idea to try to semi-bluff a donk. You need fold equity, and you don't have much against a short stacked donk.

As played, you have no choice but to put him all-in on the turn. Notice that if you had just called the flop, then you could get through this hand w/o losing half a buy-in.

[/ QUOTE ]

calling on flop against shorty is much better here

bighead9 08-29-2007 03:45 PM

because button is short-stacked, i like keeping the pot as small as possible until you hit, thus maximizing the leverage of your draw. one way to do this is to just call the $5. This maximizes the leverage of your draw since if you hit, there is still around $35 you can still win from your opponent. another way to see the next card for cheaper with your draw while still adding fold equity against an overpair is the just lead into the pre-flop raiser on the flop, rather than going for the check-raise, since the check-raise is a more expensive way to find out whether your opponent indeed has the overpair or just overcards. if you get raised, you can re-push all-in, which is what happened anyway. if they just call, you see the next card cheaper and if you hit there is money left behind to extract from your opponent who you know holds an overpair.

ttgirl 08-29-2007 03:46 PM

if hes really a donk why are we checkraising the flop which pot commits us regarless of turn card? if hes really that bad hes not folding at all, and the fact hes short just makes this much so much worse.

cfb1739 08-29-2007 03:47 PM

[ QUOTE ]

calling on flop against shorty is much better here

[/ QUOTE ]

Yep. It costs you 5 dollars for a chance to make your straight. While he is short stacked, he is plenty deep to profitably call to see the turn.