Two Plus Two Newer Archives

Two Plus Two Newer Archives (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/index.php)
-   EDF (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/forumdisplay.php?f=81)
-   -   Books I'd like to see written (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/showthread.php?t=489125)

Anacardo 08-29-2007 02:37 PM

Books I\'d like to see written

1) I think this whole country could benefit from a clear, incisive historical analysis of Germany & Japan vs. Vietnam & Iraq, in terms of the differences between the occupations of the two sets of countries, and why / how the former was willing to essentially roll over and assimilate, while the latter didn't / aren't. I certainly don't know enough about this subject, and I feel pretty confident that John Q. Doesntread could stand some education, too.

2) Here's one I would like to read, or ideally write, if I had the chops to do it. A genre of nonfiction that's risen to prominence lately: complex, from-all-angles analyses of seemingly simple, innocuous features of modern life. There's a book all about the IPod and what it means to American culture, for example. I'm out for one about the modern marriage of slutty teenage girls, semi-expensive webcams, and the hole-and-corner web industry that has been thus created. Especially interesting would be the economic data. How much are these girls making? What did nympho teenagers do for money before the Internet and spam email came along? Etc etc.

BigPoppa 08-29-2007 03:04 PM

Re: Books I\'d like to see written

There's a book called "Embracing Defeat" about Japan after WWII.

El Diablo 08-29-2007 03:13 PM

Cardo,

Sex sells. A well-written book on webcam girls would be a hot item. Stats and numbers are boring, though, other than as framing devices. The key here would be to find a number of webcam girls with interesting personal stories and do in-depth (illustrated) profiles of them.

TheWorstPlayer 08-29-2007 03:44 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Cardo,

Sex sells. A well-written book on webcam girls would be a hot item. Stats and numbers are boring, though, other than as framing devices. The key here would be to find a number of webcam girls with interesting personal stories and do in-depth (illustrated) profiles of them.

[/ QUOTE ]
Agreed. "Teenage Bimbos and the Online Poker Geeks Who Masturbate to Them". I can see it on the best-seller list basically in perpetuity.

Anacardo 08-29-2007 03:50 PM

Diablo,

Of course stats are boring. I picture this as the sort of Michael Lewis (Moneyball et al) might do well, if he were less interested in sports and more interested in slutty young girls.

Borodog 08-29-2007 04:03 PM

How about a coffee table book . . . about coffee tables?

knowledgeORbust 08-29-2007 06:18 PM

I'd ideally like to write a book about philosophy; what it is, why it's important for every individual and society as a whole, and how to approach it. For your average American dude/dudette and everybody else.

I've been considering this for 2 years. I originally wanted to write about the art of critical thinking, but it's kind of evolved since then. Fiction or non-fiction, I've got ideas about how to frame it as either.

What modern books exist like this already?

lippy 08-29-2007 06:49 PM

Ana,

Written well, your second suggestion would be fabulously successful. It would take a lot of time/resource to find the right girls, etc.

TheWorstPlayer 08-29-2007 11:06 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I'd ideally like to write a book about philosophy; what it is, why it's important for every individual and society as a whole, and how to approach it. For your average American dude/dudette and everybody else.

I've been considering this for 2 years. I originally wanted to write about the art of critical thinking, but it's kind of evolved since then. Fiction or non-fiction, I've got ideas about how to frame it as either.

What modern books exist like this already?

[/ QUOTE ]
Don't know of very general books like this, but "The End of Faith" by Sam Harris is essentially like this (although only for a small sphere of philosophy) and it is pretty good.

RoundTower 08-30-2007 02:48 AM

Sophie's World? Written as a novel but talks about philosophy. Might be a bit more basic than what you are thinking of, it was a long time ago that I read it though.