Two Plus Two Newer Archives

Two Plus Two Newer Archives (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/index.php)
-   The Lounge: Discussion+Review (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/forumdisplay.php?f=65)
-   -   My wife is too happy? (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/showthread.php?t=488098)

Wynton 08-28-2007 08:20 AM

My wife is too happy?

Interesting little development in the Wynton household.

My son will be 13 in a few months and my daughter is 10 (going on 16, if you know what I mean). Recently, both of them (especially my son) have been lightly criticizing my wife for smiling and laughing too much.

Has this ever happened in your family, either when you were the kid or parent?

It seems pretty typical, and frankly, I'm kind of amused by it (though I think my wife may be taking it a little personally).

And for the record, I think she laughs and smiles just the right amount. [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

katyseagull 08-28-2007 08:23 AM

Re: My wife is too happy?

It certainly seems better than the alternative. Is she too chipper or sugary sweet or something?

diebitter 08-28-2007 08:58 AM

Ah they're just being moody teenagers. They'll get over it in 5-10 years. I find making them cut lawns and wash cars keeps the muttering out of earshot.

MrWookie 08-28-2007 09:19 AM

Yeah, I'd suspect they're getting a little too much of a dose of emo culture from their friends. It'll probably be outgrown.

Wynton 08-28-2007 11:46 AM

[ QUOTE ]
It certainly seems better than the alternative. Is she too chipper or sugary sweet or something?

[/ QUOTE ]

She's certainly much more sugary than I am, but most people are.

I wonder if there will be a rebound effect in a few years, and the kids will become critical of my cynicism.

Dominic 08-28-2007 11:49 AM

they're teenagers and pre-teenagers! Of course they're going to find something to complain about their parents. You're in for ten years of NEVER being right, NEVER being cool, never being understanding. On the plus side, you will be the most embarrassing thing in their lives, and I'm sure that can provide some enjoyment.

diebitter 08-28-2007 11:49 AM

I'd make them suffer. Get her to dress up in grungy, goth clothes, paint her nails black, and mope about for a few days. See if they like that?

JackCase 08-28-2007 02:48 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Interesting little development in the Wynton household.

My son will be 13 in a few months and my daughter is 10 (going on 16, if you know what I mean). Recently, both of them (especially my son) have been lightly criticizing my wife for smiling and laughing too much.

[/ QUOTE ]

She's probably pregnant, and your children are more observant than you. [img]/images/graemlins/tongue.gif[/img]

pryor15 08-28-2007 02:57 PM

[ QUOTE ]
they're teenagers and pre-teenagers! Of course they're going to find something to complain about their parents. You're in for ten years of NEVER being right, NEVER being cool, never being understanding. On the plus side, you will be the most embarrassing thing in their lives, and I'm sure that can provide some enjoyment.

[/ QUOTE ]

my father likes to say that the best thing about his kids being in their 20s is how much smarter he gets every year.