Two Plus Two Newer Archives

Two Plus Two Newer Archives (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/index.php)
-   Omaha/8 (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/forumdisplay.php?f=46)
-   -   Shortstacking PLO8 (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/showthread.php?t=487862)

Shabamabam 08-27-2007 11:24 PM

Shortstacking PLO8

Seems like everyone's doing it these days.

What's the best strategy for doing so?

niss 08-28-2007 01:03 AM

Re: Shortstacking PLO8

LOL. Good luck with that one.

TheStation 08-28-2007 01:20 AM

I would ask Mick The Hoon, seems to be a shortstacking pro

I dunno 08-28-2007 01:41 AM

I doubt there are enough LAGGY games to make it worthwhile. That certainly seemed to be the trend over the last year or so, but maybe it's changed.

Shabamabam 08-28-2007 02:42 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I doubt there are enough LAGGY games to make it worthwhile. That certainly seemed to be the trend over the last year or so, but maybe it's changed.

[/ QUOTE ]

I have access to PArty.

predator06 08-28-2007 11:14 PM

Shortstacking PL games is idiotic, and you cant name ONE good player that does it.

I dunno 08-28-2007 11:58 PM

Buy Rolf's book, spend some time with an odds calculator. I haven't read it, so I'm not sure how much of it is applicable to PLO8, but a lot of the basic concepts are probably the same. I'd imagine you would be seeing more flops in PLO8 than PLO, but not necessarily because your voluntary put in will be higher

Heron 08-29-2007 05:31 AM

After reading Rolf Slotboom's book I tried to adapt the shortstack strategy he described to PLO8. So far it worked well, but that doesn't prove much since I play the lowest limits and I have only 16000 hands. Here's what I think anyway.

When playing a short stack in PLO you try to get it all in or nearly so with an equity edge prior to the flop or on the flop. In PLO you have a sufficient edge preflop with any AA or KK when nobody has AA. In O8 there are much fewer hands (So far I think only AA2w s or AAww ds are good enough) that have a big enough edge preflop. So in PLO8 you only have the flop to try to get all or most of your chips in. Sometimes the pot is too small to achieve that. Then you have to play poker with the disadvantage of a small stack. In soft games one can try to manipulate the pot size prior to the flop by cute min raises. When some members of the never open limp faction are aboard that's not necessary. When there is too much preflop raising the shortstack strategy is not playable at all. The flops are too expensive then because the rare wins are limited by our small stack.

All in all I think that PLO8 is less suited for shortstacking than the high only version. A superior player will certainly make more money by playing deep.

D-Grief 08-29-2007 04:21 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Shortstacking PL games is idiotic, and you cant name ONE good player that does it.

[/ QUOTE ]

Actually, if you're not rolled for higher limits and are good enough to play them, there's nothing wrong with it. I built my roll doing mainly 40% buyins until I had enough for full ones.

Mendacious 08-29-2007 06:23 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Actually, if you're not rolled for higher limits and are good enough to play them, there's nothing wrong with it. I built my roll doing mainly 40% buyins until I had enough for full ones.

[/ QUOTE ]

I agree, I also think it may be appropriate for extremely SH play.