Two Plus Two Newer Archives

Two Plus Two Newer Archives (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/index.php)
-   Science, Math, and Philosophy (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/forumdisplay.php?f=49)
-   -   Physics question about remote controls from car talk (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/showthread.php?t=487681)

slickpoppa 08-27-2007 06:29 PM

Physics question about remote controls from car talk

So I was driving around in Wyoming a couple of weeks ago and was reduced to listening to car talk on NPR, which is actually a pretty good show. Anyway, some guy calls in and says that he can increase the range of his keyless entry remote by touching it to his chin when pressing the button. I briefly experimented with this myself and it appears to be true. Can anyone explain why? The instinctual answer seems to be that you body somehow acts as an antenna, but that doesn't really make sense because you're body is already touching the remote anyway.

Kimbell175113 08-27-2007 06:34 PM

Re: Physics question about remote controls from car talk

Maybe the chin steadies it, whereas it's wiggling too much (just slightly, but more than you notice) while extended in one hand?

Siegmund 08-27-2007 06:45 PM

My first guess is that your body reflects some of the radio waves. (I assume you are facing toward the car when you tried this?)

You could, if you desired, experiment further with known radio-reflective materials, and see how much you can increase the range. If you REALLY want long range you can attach a reflective "umbrella" to your keychain, and open it up into the classic satellite-dish shape, to aim at your target...

guids 08-27-2007 06:58 PM

They make radio towers tall for a reason.

kbfc 08-27-2007 07:00 PM

This definitely works. AFAIK, you're basically using the roof of your mouth as a satellite dish to focus and bounce the signal in a specific direction, giving it greater range.

CORed 08-30-2007 05:14 PM

I have an old care with a mechanical key, so I can't try it. It seems to me that there are two possible reasons this works. One is the reflection mode that several posters have suggested. The other is that by making electrical contact with the key, your body is acting as a transmitting antenna and amplifying the radio signal.

Borodog 08-30-2007 05:18 PM

Same reason a radio or broadcast TV gets clearer if you grab the antenna.

joelav128 08-30-2007 05:26 PM

and the reason for that is...?

guids 08-30-2007 06:09 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

are you saying you guys arent grabbing the fob when you press the button?

slickpoppa 08-30-2007 06:43 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

are you saying you guys arent grabbing the fob when you press the button?

[/ QUOTE ]

My thought exactly, which I mentioned in my OP