Two Plus Two Newer Archives

Two Plus Two Newer Archives (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/index.php)
-   Brick and Mortar (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/forumdisplay.php?f=29)
-   -   30/60 Canterbury: I have never hit and ran until now... thoughts? (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/showthread.php?t=486768)

doublebluff 08-26-2007 04:02 PM

30/60 Canterbury: I have never hit and ran until now... thoughts?

So I was playing 30/60 at CP for the 5th session in 4 days (these have been 5-10 hour sessions up until this one).

For those that have played with me know that i'm a very very respectful person when I get beat and when i beat someone.

This happened about an hour into my session

Hand that is relevant to the situation...

Game is starting getting wild. UTG (regular solid CP player, his name escapes me right now but he is Asian guy who was a professor at some point and time) limps, 2 people limp after him, Dick (CP regular tight old man) raises it to right of me, I am Cutoff with 66 and I 3 pop it. Then it eventually get capped with 5-6 players in.

Flop:
568 rainbow

Checks to dick, dick bets, i raise, UTG 3 bets...gets capped again with everyone still in.

Turn (Huge blank, i think it was a 2?)

Checks to me, I bet, UTG has about 3 BBs left and raises and Bad LAG MP 3 bets, dick calls (obv. over pair), I tank certain i'm facing a straight (90% it is UTG) and/or maybe another (hopefully lower) set, decide to 4 bet (at worst to win a side pot rebate if the board doesn't pair because UTG (who i think has a straight) is out of chips). everyone just calls.

River: 6

checks to me, i bet, everyone folds to dick, dick calls

So i win a ~$3k pot, some people were saying it was the biggest pot they've seen at 30/60. While i'm stacking people are still talking about the hand, saying they had a straight .. and all i'm responding is with "yea i got lucky", "I knew i had to get a board pair", etc...

After i finish stacking I feel i should take a break because my adrenaline is running too high to play well, so i grab a beer to settle down. I come back in like 15 min on the big blind.

Game still is a little wild.

2 limpers, SB (dick still) raises, I 3 bet with AJo, everyone calls.

Flop: KJT 2 hearts

Checks to me, i bet, the 2 limpers call, dick raises, I call and so does everyone else.

Turn: Jo

Dick bets, I raise (thinking "god I'm on the sickest run ever"). limpers fold, dick calls.

River: 9o

Dick checks, I check. I flip over my hand, Dick look at my hand and says "I'm the worst player in this place" in a mocking tone and takes another 3-5 secs and then rolls over his TT for a boat. The dealer even had to do a double take on his hand because he was also convinced from Dick's speech and demeanor that I had the best hand.

I respond something to the effect of "Are you serious? Do you usually needle people when you win a pot?" (weak, i know; I'm not the wittiest guy on the block) and we exchange a couple things back and forth. After like 5 exchanges into it and I realize this is stupid and I say "I'm sorry, I didn't mean to get heated" and he just stays silent. This gets me really heated and conclude that I am in no mindset to play poker and the best thing for me to do is leave (and also know that this will be the best way to get back at him because the whole table will know that his slow rolling got me to leave.)

So I leave with like 6 racks, obviously the whole table trying to convince me to stay and apologizing for Dick.

what are your thoughts about how i handled the situation? What shouldve done?

BTW. I suck at retelling stories so please forgive me if its hard to understand.

JJH3984 08-26-2007 04:10 PM

Re: 30/60 Canterbury: I have never hit and ran until now... thoughts?

Its your money. Do what you want.

PartysOver 08-26-2007 04:17 PM

i rack up right away and thank Dick for the slow roll

Vehn 08-26-2007 04:44 PM

who are you

chucky 08-26-2007 05:33 PM

You did not intentionally hit and run. After the second hand you realized you were not going to play good poker and stopped. Hit and run is when you intentionally leave after a big hand but never had the intention to stay.

ProfessorBen 08-26-2007 09:55 PM

Learn to not tilt.

Slowrolling you - bad.
Yelling at him - no better.

ProfessorBen 08-26-2007 09:56 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Its your money. Do what you want.

[/ QUOTE ]

FatalError 08-26-2007 10:00 PM

before you leave you have to look him in the eyes, channel barry greenstein and say

"El OH El Grimmstarred"

pfapfap 08-26-2007 10:20 PM

I think you're fine. People can be real jerks at 30/60, and people who act like you describe are likely annoying in other ways as well. Emotional children need to be given simple to understand consequences for their actions. You shouldn't have gotten involved in the first place, though. The best response to an idiot is a bemused chuckle and then ignoring.

But regardless of the cause, you were not playing properly, so you made the correct decision to leave. I'm sure you'll be back, so don't worry about it. It's one hand at a time, not results for a session.

I'd be more concerned with everybody wanting you to stay. Where do you feel you ranked on the table? Just one above Dick?

doublebluff 08-26-2007 10:22 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I think you're fine. People can be real jerks at 30/60, and people who act like you describe are likely annoying in other ways as well. Emotional children need to be given simple to understand consequences for their actions. You shouldn't have gotten involved in the first place, though. The best response to an idiot is a bemused chuckle and then ignoring.

But regardless of the cause, you were not playing properly, so you made the correct decision to leave. I'm sure you'll be back, so don't worry about it. It's one hand at a time, not results for a session.

I'd be more concerned with everybody wanting you to stay. Where do you feel you ranked on the table? Just one above Dick?

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm by far the worst player in the room.