Two Plus Two Newer Archives

Two Plus Two Newer Archives (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/index.php)
-   Sporting Events (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/forumdisplay.php?f=48)
-   -   Northern Colorado at Hawai'i - 100 points for Rainbow Warriors? (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/showthread.php?t=484626)

Bulldog 08-23-2007 01:09 PM

Northern Colorado at Hawai\'i - 100 points for Rainbow Warriors?

[ QUOTE ]
The Bears open at No. 23 Hawaii on Sept. 1. Some national pundits say the only thing that will stop UH from scoring in this game will be the final gun, and the Warriors could post 100 points on the Bears.

[/ QUOTE ]

Northern Colorado is that school where the punter stabbed the other punter. They are a bad I-AA team (1-10 last year) and I heard this 100-point thing discussed on sports talk radio as well. The theory is that June Jones feels like he has a BCS quality team with Colt Brennan back and the only way the national media, especially on the east coast, will pay attention to Hawai'i is a three-digit number on the ESPN Bottom Line crawl, so he will go for the 100. They couldn't get any quality non-conference opponents because they are poison for a quality program--beat them so what, lose to them and get destroyed in the polls.

I don't think Jones has said anything like that publicly, but it is out there.

Can they do it? Do they need to? Should they?

Wu36 08-23-2007 01:12 PM

Re: Northern Colorado at Hawai\'i - 100 points for Rainbow Warriors?

Yes to all pls, Go UH.

TheNoodleMan 08-23-2007 01:12 PM

If he feels like they have a BCS caliber team then they are screwing themselves by scheduling such a bad team.

Bulldog 08-23-2007 01:15 PM

After they went into Alabama last year and almost beat them, I can see why nobody would want to play them.

MyTurn2Raise 08-23-2007 01:22 PM

Nobody wants to play them cuz they are a bunch of jag-bags and it's a dangerous situation--not because they afraid of losing

1) They play on a very injury prone turf
2) The stadium fills with flying garbage during the game which makes its way onto the field of play in large quantities during the second half
3) The Rainbows have a deserved reputation for hitting late and dirty pool
4) Officiating calls seem to go towards Hawaii an awful lot when they play on the islands

I've watched Hawai'i numerous times and there is absolutely no way I'd ever play them in Hawai'i.

Hawaii lost @ Alabama last year, barely beat an unmotivated mediocre Purdue team @ home, lost @ home to Oregon St, and beat Arizona St @ home in a bowl game

They're about equal to a midlevel big conference school and it's a joke to rate them otherwise.

ThaSaltCracka 08-23-2007 01:46 PM

Ah, so people don't want to play Hawaii because their scum bag yahoos from an island that really isn't part of the US.

Right...

Has nothing to do with flying thousands of miles to get your ass handed to you by a program no one respects.

They were actually offering teams $600,000 to come play IN HAWAII ON NATIONAL TV, and no one wanted to go play them.

Nez477 08-23-2007 02:29 PM

I am a Northern Colorado alum

And this is stupid

They're so into trying to get into Division I that they want to get brutally embarrassed on a national stage

Brilliant

AngusThermopyle 08-23-2007 02:44 PM

[ QUOTE ]

They were actually offering teams $600,000 to come play IN HAWAII ON NATIONAL TV, and no one wanted to go play them.

[/ QUOTE ]

Plus the fact that the game would not count against the 12 game limit for the visitors.

Michigan State paid $250K to back out of their game this year.

MicroBob 08-23-2007 03:00 PM

Hawaii isn't the only team that is considered a poison for a quality program because there's no credit for a win but you get slammed if you take a loss.

The MAC teams have been complaining about this for years in both football and hoops. Some of the teams got kind of creative and would set it up as a 1-home for 2-away deal.
Miami, Ohio did this with Iowa for example and almost beat the Hawkeyes the year they went 13-1 under Roethlesberger and finished 11th or whatever in the country.

I can't believe that nobody would be interested in playing them out there. That just doesn't make sense to me.
Surely they could have landed a higher caliber non-conf opponent than Northern Colorado if they wanted to.

Lots of lower level D1 teams who don't pull in big bucks who would surely be interested in the money and the extra game and the fun trip for all their players, coaches and alums.

A Troy U. or Mid Tenn St or Marshall or Central Florida or East Carolina or a MAC school or something?
Obviously these aren't exactly the high-caliber type opponents Hawaii would prefer. But they're all sure a helluva lot better on their BCS then freaking Northern Colorado.
Bringing in a 1-10 I-AA team is the very best they could do?
No freaking way.

I remember when Miami, Ohio went out there to play in 2000 and they had some wild 55-46 type shootout or something.

pepper123 08-23-2007 03:16 PM

i don't know the whole story but depending on when MSU pulled out UH might not have been able to find another opponent.