Two Plus Two Newer Archives

Two Plus Two Newer Archives (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/index.php)
-   Micro Stakes (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/forumdisplay.php?f=71)
-   -   A8s - floped middle pair - any other play here? (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/showthread.php?t=480473)

maca9 08-18-2007 05:59 AM

A8s - floped middle pair - any other play here?

PokerStars No-Limit Hold'em, $0.25 BB (6 handed) Hand History converter Courtesy of PokerZion.com

BB ($14.75)
UTG ($27.75)
MP ($25)
CO ($7.85)
Button ($27.85)
Hero ($8.25)

Preflop: Hero is SB with 8[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], A[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img].
<font color="#666666">2 folds</font>, <font color="#CC3333">CO raises to $0.75</font>, Button calls $0.75, Hero calls $0.65, BB calls $0.50.

Flop: ($3) 8[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], T[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], 2[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(4 players)</font>
Hero checks, BB checks, <font color="#CC3333">CO bets $1.75</font>, Button folds, Hero folds, BB folds.

Final Pot: $4.75

flameboy 08-18-2007 06:31 AM

Re: A8s - floped middle pair - any other play here?

Any reads?

I'd fold PF. A8s doesn't play too well OOP against 2 opponents, especially when you'd have to invest 1/10 of your stack and the raiser is so short.

But now that you're there, I think it's close between folding and pushing. Without any read I'd lean towards pushing over his very small c-bet with all this dead money in the middle.

choccypie 08-18-2007 07:13 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I'd fold PF.

[/ QUOTE ]

OOP in a raised pot A8 suited or otherwise is not a hand you want to invest your money in.

He could be trying to get a raise out of you with that small cbet, but if you raise you basically commit yourself so you might as well go ai, which I wouldn't do with middle pair on that board.

robinmbuk 08-18-2007 08:19 AM

Really you need a full stack size to be able to play properly. With a short stack like you only reeally have one option:
Raise / reraise big pf with only the very best hands. You are looking to get a large portion (if not all) of your stack in pf with premium hands. Limp shoving hands like AA/KK/QQ/AK pf from EP would be good if this is a game with lots of PF rasing. Hands like A rag suited should always be folded pf.

Sordini 08-18-2007 08:36 AM

Why do you not have $25 in front of you?
Fold preflop.
Since there is no reads this entire post pointless.

Finally (opinion not theory), without a full stack at all times ALL of your decisions will then become stack size Dependant. This adds a huge level of complexity to your game. If you always have $25 or more in front of you: then you can be consistent with your decisions early in the game.

maca9 08-18-2007 08:43 AM

Thanks for the responses.

I obviously need to keep 100BB at all times!!!

Regarding the hand all I really wanted to know is what was thought about playing middle pair.

Although i can see this is a poor example.

Thanks again for the responses.

Lego05 08-18-2007 01:04 PM

Fold pre-flop.

As played foldng flop is fine.

ajmargarine 08-18-2007 01:33 PM

Dude, you can't call a shortie with A8s when you are full stacked. But, you are shortstacked too, which means you are in push/fold mode in this spot preflop.

Read that last sentence again, cuz if you don't get it you shouldn't play shortstacked.