Two Plus Two Newer Archives

Two Plus Two Newer Archives (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/index.php)
-   Other Other Topics (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/forumdisplay.php?f=36)
-   -   Define "sport" for me (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/showthread.php?t=479977)

Wilco23 08-17-2007 02:57 PM

Define \"sport\" for me

My friends and I have this ongoing debate about what qualifies as a "sport." In my definition, it takes 3 things: (1) mental ability / strategy implementation; (2) physical ability / execution; and (3) defense.

The third point is usually the one of contention because it eliminates activities like golf as a sport. While I think golf takes skill and is a competition, I don't think it is a sport. A sport should necessarily allow for your opponent to affect your play in some manner. In golf, it's merely the lowest score wins; it doesn't matter what your opponent shoots if you can't score low yourself, and your opponent cannot alter your stroke or make you shoot worse through some sort of defense.

Thoughts?

BuckyK 08-17-2007 03:02 PM

Re: Define \"sport\" for me

It's not merely lowest score wins. It's how you get the lowest. Sure, you can have the lowest score after 3 rounds, but that determines how you play on the 4th round to finish up the play. Let's say you have a 4 stroke lead, are you going to play the same aggressive style that gave you that lead? Probably not, you'll play more conservative to ensure you maintain your lead. If you play aggressive, you risk making a bad shot. Simlarly if you are down by several strokes, you can't play a conservative round. You need to make the more aggressive shot. Try to shoot over the hazard instead of laying up. Try to get on in 2 on a par 5 instead of 3. However, these aggressive moves will have risk and you either take the lead or drop several places. So, other golfers do affect how one plays their game.

asofel 08-17-2007 03:03 PM

I think track and field would be a better sport with defense.

mason55 08-17-2007 03:07 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I think track and field would be a better sport with defense.

[/ QUOTE ]

javeliners vs hammer throwers

blinden84 08-17-2007 03:09 PM

Defense doesn't make a sport, change 3 to "Competition" not defense

unrelated, but I like to classify sports, net sports (volleyball, tennis), Base sports (baseball, cricket) Goal sports (hockey, basketball), efficiency sports (golf, auto racing). Am I missing any categories?

aK13 08-17-2007 03:17 PM

[ QUOTE ]

unrelated, but I like to classify sports, net sports (volleyball, tennis), Base sports (baseball, cricket) Goal sports (hockey, basketball), efficiency sports (golf, auto racing). Am I missing any categories?

[/ QUOTE ]

This is a good classification.

Missing some things like Wrestling / Boxing, though.

EDIT: Also bowling. and probably hunting.

don't know if you'd consider Javelin, Hammer Toss, Long Jump, etc to be efficiency? I took it more to mean like running and like archery/shooting, but I can see the meaning expanded.

blinden84 08-17-2007 03:19 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

This is a good classification.

Missing some things like Wrestling / Boxing, though.

EDIT: Also bowling. and probably hunting.

don't know if you'd consider Javelin, Hammer Toss, Long Jump, etc to be efficiency? I took it more to mean like running and like archery/shooting, but I can see the meaning expanded.

[/ QUOTE ]

Ohh yeah, "Combat"

pokerbobo 08-17-2007 03:25 PM

using your definition

then bocce ball, and crocuet (sp?) are sports... horseshoes not really because your defense is played by beating them with offense, and running, swimming, biking, triathalons are not sports.

Jack Bando 08-17-2007 03:26 PM

My definintion is basically the OP's without #2. I just seperate certain activities (Chess, cards,etc) as Non-athletic sports.

Bostaevski 08-17-2007 03:26 PM

[ QUOTE ]
It's not merely lowest score wins. It's how you get the lowest. Sure, you can have the lowest score after 3 rounds, but that determines how you play on the 4th round to finish up the play. Let's say you have a 4 stroke lead, are you going to play the same aggressive style that gave you that lead? Probably not, you'll play more conservative to ensure you maintain your lead. If you play aggressive, you risk making a bad shot. Simlarly if you are down by several strokes, you can't play a conservative round. You need to make the more aggressive shot. Try to shoot over the hazard instead of laying up. Try to get on in 2 on a par 5 instead of 3. However, these aggressive moves will have risk and you either take the lead or drop several places. So, other golfers do affect how one plays their game.

[/ QUOTE ]

Too bad you weren't Jean Van de Velde's caddie at the 1999 Open Championship at Carnoustie. Blew a 3-stroke lead on the final hole. LOL at French golfers.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1dR1pkCGY80