Two Plus Two Newer Archives

Two Plus Two Newer Archives (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/index.php)
-   Micro Stakes Limit (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/forumdisplay.php?f=37)
-   -   Am I retarted? (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/showthread.php?t=479445)

CrMenace 08-16-2007 09:33 PM

Am I retarted?

Somehow, I just can't get my head around what to do in this hand.

Raiser's 3rd hand at the table

PokerStars 0.50/1.00 Hold'em (10 handed) Hand History Converter Tool from FlopTurnRiver.com (Format: 2+2 Forums)

Preflop: Hero is BB with J[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], A[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img].
<font color="#666666">3 folds</font>, MP1 calls, <font color="#666666">2 folds</font>, <font color="#CC3333">CO raises</font>, <font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, SB calls, Hero calls, MP1 calls.

Flop: (8 SB) Q[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], A[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], 9[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(4 players)</font>
SB checks, Hero ???

HouseCalls 08-16-2007 09:40 PM

Re: Am I retarted?

top pair good kicker draw heavy board. You need to protect your hand. If you can count on CO to bet a c/r is best. If you're not sure (due to lack of reads) then I'd err on the siding of betting out rather than risking this checking through.

sparky3474 08-16-2007 09:45 PM

Fold preflop, raise the flop, you have 1.5 outs to the nut straight, there is no flush draw and your probably ahead

Aaron W. 08-16-2007 09:46 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Somehow, I just can't get my head around what to do in this hand.

Raiser's 3rd hand at the table

PokerStars 0.50/1.00 Hold'em (10 handed) Hand History Converter Tool from FlopTurnRiver.com (Format: 2+2 Forums)

Preflop: Hero is BB with J[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], A[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img].
<font color="#666666">3 folds</font>, MP1 calls, <font color="#666666">2 folds</font>, <font color="#CC3333">CO raises</font>, <font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, SB calls, Hero calls, MP1 calls.

Flop: (8 SB) Q[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], A[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], 9[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(4 players)</font>
SB checks, Hero ???

[/ QUOTE ]

I hardly ever donk into a preflop raiser when I have a good hand. I'm almost always check-raising.

KitCloudkicker 08-16-2007 09:51 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Fold preflop

[/ QUOTE ]

ugh

check your pot odds

shuinthehouse 08-16-2007 09:59 PM

not sure about retarded, maybe just a bad speller, but you obviously do not have any friends or loved ones who are mentally handicapped, and are at best insensitive

CrMenace 08-16-2007 10:03 PM

The stuff you guys are saying is what was going on in my head. However, with one player on either side between villain and I, c/r'ing didn't seem to provide much more protection than betting out- and villain being an unknown, I didn't know if I could count on him to bet or not. Obviously I had a good hand so wanted chips on the table. Finally, the other tension was, this is a flop that helps an awful lot of pfr hands, so if I did get action from the villain, I was in bad shape.

NIX 08-16-2007 10:27 PM

I check to see what's up, but with the intention of raising a bet from CO.

Buzz-cp 08-16-2007 10:32 PM

[ QUOTE ]
retarted

[/ QUOTE ]

uhm...

OK so I like a donk here because the board is semi coordinated. If villain has TT or JJ, he will probably be checking here vs the many villains, and I don't want to see it get checked through. Although I don't really like our hand here vs this range. I'm not sure how much a c/r would accomplish.

NIX 08-16-2007 10:40 PM

[ QUOTE ]
The stuff you guys are saying is what was going on in my head. However, with one player on either side between villain and I, c/r'ing didn't seem to provide much more protection than betting out- and villain being an unknown, I didn't know if I could count on him to bet or not. Obviously I had a good hand so wanted chips on the table. Finally, the other tension was, this is a flop that helps an awful lot of pfr hands, so if I did get action from the villain, I was in bad shape.

[/ QUOTE ]
I would say that check/raising, or at least looking to, has a higher potential for protection here or in other situations when you have an even number of opponents between you and the PFRer. Reason being, I would expect an unknown to c-bet this flop a lot. In that case, you are assured that two bets are going in facing at least one opponent with calling two. If you donk, and the PFRer doesn't raise, then everyone gets faced with one. And I would figure there is a much better chance of him c-betting than raising (especially with a worse hand than AJ).