Two Plus Two Newer Archives

Two Plus Two Newer Archives (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/index.php)
-   Probability (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/forumdisplay.php?f=27)
-   -   chess question (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/showthread.php?t=475437)

degeneratum 08-12-2007 03:27 AM

chess question

if my friend wanted to be spotted a pawn of his choice, what would be the correct pawn to choose? im pretty sure it would be the kings pawn right? if u feel the need to post about how this is a poker forum and i shouldnt be posting chess questions, well thanks i didnt know that. but i did mention it in the title, so dont say i didnt give u fair warning.

Silent A 08-12-2007 06:07 AM

Re: chess question

Actually, I'm wondering, "how is this a probability question?"

Tiki 08-12-2007 06:27 AM

Opponent specific. I'd take off whichever central pawn he likes to push first when opening, otherwise I'd take off the QP.

AaronBrown 08-12-2007 09:46 AM

I'm not sure about that. My intuition says the King's bishop pawn would be more damaging. But I suspect some chess players have analyzed games missing different pawns and could give you a better answer.

Pokerfarian 08-12-2007 03:14 PM

I'd say e2 pawn if I was black as central pawns are "the most valuable". But as white I'd say f7 pawn since then 1.e4 gives very nice play e.g. 1...e5? 2.Qh5+

WhiteKnight 08-12-2007 06:53 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I'm not sure about that. My intuition says the King's bishop pawn would be more damaging. But I suspect some chess players have analyzed games missing different pawns and could give you a better answer.

[/ QUOTE ]
I kind of like this, but am by no means great at chess.

imfatandugly 08-12-2007 10:08 PM

i'd say queen knights pawn. fianchetto your bishop and castle on your king side.

degeneratum 08-13-2007 04:08 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I'd say e2 pawn if I was black as central pawns are "the most valuable". But as white I'd say f7 pawn since then 1.e4 gives very nice play e.g. 1...e5? 2.Qh5+

[/ QUOTE ]

interesting line, but i think if hes facing e4 with no f-file pawn, i dont think hed respong e5 in fact, i had the response even without the pawn missing. im pretty sure most chess players would respond with c5 facing e4 without looking.

degeneratum 08-13-2007 04:13 AM

[ QUOTE ]
i'd say queen knights pawn. fianchetto your bishop and castle on your king side.

[/ QUOTE ]

how do u fianchetto ur castle

rufus 08-13-2007 11:57 AM

[ QUOTE ]
if my friend wanted to be spotted a pawn of his choice, what would be the correct pawn to choose? im pretty sure it would be the kings pawn right? if u feel the need to post about how this is a poker forum and i shouldnt be posting chess questions, well thanks i didnt know that. but i did mention it in the title, so dont say i didnt give u fair warning.

[/ QUOTE ]

An interesting option might be to remove the pawn from your own queen-side rook.

The king's bishop pawn is a pretty ugly pawn to lose. Removing the king's and queen's pawns are a little mixed since removing them does facilitate development.