Two Plus Two Newer Archives

Two Plus Two Newer Archives (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/index.php)
-   Small Stakes Limit (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/forumdisplay.php?f=19)
-   -   What To Do When Reraised Preflop (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/showthread.php?t=473043)

ThierryHenry 08-09-2007 01:51 AM

What To Do When Reraised Preflop

One thing that seems to give me troubles is when I am against a typical online player with stats something like 18/10/1.5. I open raise in MP with AJs and get reraised by this player in LP and everyone folds. Flop come Jxx. What should my line be here?

blackasthma 08-09-2007 02:00 AM

Re: What To Do When Reraised Preflop

Sounds like this player has position on you HU? Calling down is bad. Bet or c/r flop for starters to get his reaction...

ThierryHenry 08-09-2007 02:09 AM

c/r then b/f on the later streets? I typically c/c down and it never feels right.

blackasthma 08-09-2007 02:41 AM

Betting or check-raising depends on the texture of the flop. This guy could have AK, AQ, TT, 99, etc. - which you can beat. He should bet a ragged jack-high flop and I'd be suspicious if he doesn't. Check-raise and lead out on the turn. You have to be aggressive early with a strong hand because you're out of position. I might consider folding to a turn raise, but I really don't know this guy.

Niediam 08-09-2007 02:43 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Sounds like this player has position on you HU? Calling down is bad. Bet or c/r flop for starters to get his reaction...

[/ QUOTE ]

Yuck. Check/calling down is very standard for me here.

bernie 08-09-2007 04:49 AM

The pot is small and you have a tight postflop player with position on you HU.

Check/call the flop. Unless you're willing to fold to a 3 bet.(note his stats are pretty tight aggressive-wise postflop)

Turn is a decision on whether to check/call or donk it. If he raises the turn on a donk, you can probably lay down. If you can't, check call it. If he checks behind, bet the river.

If you're committed on the flop to see the showdown, check call it.

b

OziBattler 08-09-2007 06:47 AM

[ QUOTE ]
One thing that seems to give me troubles is when I am against a typical online player with stats something like 18/10/1.5. I open raise in MP with AJs and get reraised by this player in LP and everyone folds.

[/ QUOTE ]

as an exercise, try putting this guy on a range of hands that he will 3 bet your raise and go from there

[ QUOTE ]
Flop come Jxx. What should my line be here?

[/ QUOTE ]
thats a pretty good flop for you. I'd checkraise flop and play poker from there. How he reacts to your CR should give you an idea of where you are at

HoneyBadger 08-09-2007 06:53 AM

I usually play wa/wb on a drawless board. That is, c/c flop, c/c turn, [ugh messed up the river] any of the c/c, b/c, b/f lines on the river, whichever feels most appropriate.

If there's draws on the board I just play; probably c/r the flop and lead the turn.

chesspain 08-09-2007 08:12 AM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Giving bad advice is bad.

chesspain 08-09-2007 08:16 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Betting or check-raising depends on the texture of the flop. This guy could have AK, AQ, TT, 99, etc. - which you can beat. He should bet a ragged jack-high flop and I'd be suspicious if he doesn't. Check-raise and lead out on the turn.

[/ QUOTE ]

Why would we want him to fold any of those hands to our flop c/r, turn bet?

[ QUOTE ]
You have to be aggressive early with a strong hand because you're out of position.

[/ QUOTE ]

Why? (Please don't say "betting for information.")