Two Plus Two Newer Archives

Two Plus Two Newer Archives (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/index.php)
-   Internet Gambling (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/forumdisplay.php?f=30)
-   -   Set up a corporation to receive your poker winnings for tax purposes? (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/showthread.php?t=472374)

Nepthu 08-08-2007 10:28 AM

Set up a corporation to receive your poker winnings for tax purposes?

note: I live in the United States

I remember reading an interview with Patrick Antonius. He was asked about a high tax rate is some European country like Norway or Sweden or something in regards to a tournament. I guess the winner would have to pay something like 70% of there winnings in taxes in that country. He said that all of his winnings go to his corporation. I imagine there would be great tax benefits if you could set up yourself as a poker playing corporation so to speak. (Or so I gather from reading the book 'rich dad, poor dad'). There would be no 15.3% self employment tax to begin with. Other taxes for corporations tend to be lower than those on income. Can anyone shed light on this as a possibility?

cardshark 08-08-2007 10:40 AM

Re: Set up a corporation to receive your poker winnings for tax purpos

It depends what kind of corporation. In the US a C-corp pays twice as much tax than an S-corp. But a C-corp has other benefits. And a non US resident cannot own shares in an S-corporation, in the US. So someone from Sweden could only open a C-corporation in the US, unless he/she had dual citizenship (meaning, US citizenship) or at least be a lawful permanent resident of the US (meaning, have a Green Card).

cardshark 08-08-2007 10:42 AM

...follow up...

But corporations have other taxes to pay, depending what city or state the are incorporated in. That is also something to take into consideration.

Freakin 08-09-2007 12:56 AM

And you still have to pay self-employment taxes as an employee-owner for any salary paid to yourself.

RikaKazak 08-09-2007 01:08 AM

Re: Set up a corporation to receive your poker winnings for tax purposes?

I've discussed setting up an S-corp with my accountant...talk to one, it has its plus and minuses...I'm not a CPA so I won't go into my 2 cents. But it's worth looking into.

PBJaxx 08-09-2007 01:14 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I've discussed setting up an S-corp with my accountant...talk to one, it has its plus and minuses...I'm not a CPA so I won't go into my 2 cents. But it's worth looking into.

[/ QUOTE ]

I have considered this or an LLC, but I can't claim to know much about it at this point. If I learn more about it, I will post the info I gather.

RikaKazak 08-09-2007 01:33 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I have considered this or an LLC, but I can't claim to know much about it at this point. If I learn more about it, I will post the info I gather.

[/ QUOTE ]

feel free to pm me the more you find out...maybe we could make an official "staring a poker corp" thread or something

kyleb 08-09-2007 02:06 AM

An LLC elected to be taxed as an S-Corp would be really advantageous.

If it was legal for poker.

(It might not be. Ask a lawyer.)