Two Plus Two Newer Archives

Two Plus Two Newer Archives (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/index.php)
-   News, Views, and Gossip (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/forumdisplay.php?f=31)
-   -   BACKERS.... (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/showthread.php?t=472140)

beeks 08-08-2007 01:39 AM

BACKERS....

This is probably the least known/discussed part of the poker world at least for me. I play alot of online poker and frequent the LA area cardrooms enough, but I seem to know so little about "backing" players. I would love to know about any insight (keep it real) that anyone has.

What big time players get backed?

What is a standard backing deal?

Who are these backers? How do you find them? Do they profit?

Can't you scam a backer by dumping in a cash game to a partner?

Please share any knowledge or stories you have.

Oblivious 08-08-2007 01:50 AM

Re: BACKERS....

1. all of them from time to time in one form or another.

2. you play their chips in a game or tourney and you get a percent freroll yourself.

3. they are usually friends, who trust you and your play. if you are a winning player, they should profit along with you in the long run.

4. yes.

captZEEbo 08-08-2007 01:54 AM

[ QUOTE ]
2. you play their chips in a game or tourney and you get a percent freroll yourself.

[/ QUOTE ]You don't always get a freeroll, a lot of the time people just buy your action b/c you don't have the bankroll to withstand the swings. It'd be something like I agree to x% of your wins and losses tonight at this specific stake.

beeks 08-08-2007 02:01 AM

I appreciate your answers but they are very, very general. I think everyone is aware of that info.

More details please.

08-08-2007 02:14 AM

Post deleted by Mat Sklansky

Halfpoint 08-08-2007 03:20 AM

E Dog and Doyle are the biggest backers in town.

Brian O'Nolan 08-08-2007 03:36 AM

wtf does noataima back? because as I understand he plays a lot of [censored] poker at 200/400+ and his loss rate pales in comparison to what the best player's win rate would be in these games.

kemystery 08-08-2007 04:04 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Please share any knowledge or stories you have.

[/ QUOTE ]

I was backed to take a shot at the juicy 5-10nl party games in 2004/2005 when I was playing like 1-2, we chopped the profit 50-50 it worked out pretty well until my friend found out about party BJ 26K br gone in one night, click yo mouse lose a small house

also I have a friend who has made like 200K+ on some stellar live tournament staking deals, backing a 2nd place WPT finalist

breitling996 08-08-2007 05:21 AM

john phan is backed in every poker venture he partakes in... noatima back brad booth, how u think he had a mil on high stakes poker... there is tons more every pro poker player has been backed at on point or another..

The B 08-08-2007 09:06 AM

[ QUOTE ]
E Dog and Doyle are the biggest backers in town.

[/ QUOTE ]

last month Bluff mag ran an article about E-Dog having "8 horses from his stable in one race"