Two Plus Two Newer Archives

Two Plus Two Newer Archives (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/index.php)
-   About the Forums (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/forumdisplay.php?f=57)
-   -   NSFW Avatars (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/showthread.php?t=470229)

iversonian 08-06-2007 12:22 AM

NSFW Avatars

Isn't it kinda silly labeling posts as NSFW so that people take care in opening them at work but then allow NSFW avatars everywhere else?

tuq 08-06-2007 12:24 AM

Re: NSFW Avatars

No.

D.H. 08-06-2007 12:26 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Isn't it kinda silly labeling posts as NSFW so that people take care in opening them at work but then allow NSFW avatars everywhere else?

[/ QUOTE ]

I guess the difference is that you can easily turn off avatars (which I highly recommend).

Bobo Fett 08-06-2007 12:28 AM

Perhaps, but then I've never understood the whole NSFW thing anyway. Are there actually workplaces where pictures of semi-naked women aren't allowed, but a poker forum is? I would think that if a person's place of work actually cares about what they do with their computer, a poker site certainly wouldn't be acceptable.

Unless, of course, your workplace actually IS a poker site.

mason55 08-06-2007 12:56 AM

Bobo Fett -

Short answer: Yes

Long answer: Precedent has been set such that allowing employees to look at pictures of semi-naked/naked women is grounds for a sexual harassment lawsuit against the employer.

Also, think about a receptionist for example. Having a customer see her looking at a poker site isn't going to harm anything because the customer won't know. But if you have a picture of a giant [censored] on the screen the customer will get the hint.

Lastly, for some people it's not "ok" to look at a poker forum but they can do it anyway because it's ambiguous. Similar to the receptionist, no one really knows unless they look at the server logs or actually read the screen. It's much harder to pass of a picture of ScarJo as work related than it is to pass of a thick block of text.

Bobo Fett 08-06-2007 01:15 AM

Fair enough. I have to admit I wasn't expecting an answer, let alone such a good one...thanks!

Obviously being my own boss has left me ignorant of such things. I would then refer the OP back to D.H.'s simple solution:

[ QUOTE ]
I guess the difference is that you can easily turn off avatars (which I highly recommend).

[/ QUOTE ]

stabn 08-06-2007 01:34 AM

FWIW if you see an avatar that you think crosses a line you can report it to a mod and they can decide if they agree. If they don't you can try another mod [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img].

iversonian 08-06-2007 02:11 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Got it. This is the answer that I didn't know I was looking for.

Mike Haven 08-06-2007 08:18 AM

If you're going to turn off all avatars please remove yours, to be fair, so I don't have to watch an unfunny cartoon clip, or else change it to a SFW photo of Fergie.

Thanks.

NU Star 08-06-2007 09:34 AM

[ QUOTE ]
If you're going to turn off all avatars please remove yours, to be fair, so I don't have to watch an unfunny cartoon clip, or else change it to a SFW photo of Fergie.

Thanks.

[/ QUOTE ]

Plz change your avatar to NSFW Mason.