Two Plus Two Newer Archives

Two Plus Two Newer Archives (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/index.php)
-   STT Strategy (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/forumdisplay.php?f=38)
-   -   When to Ignore ICM, A Winning Turbo Strategy That Is 'Outside the Box (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/showthread.php?t=469857)

pokerman777 08-05-2007 01:33 PM

When to Ignore ICM, A Winning Turbo Strategy That Is \'Outside the Box

What are you think guys about this article ?
article

luthar 08-05-2007 01:37 PM

Re: When to Ignore ICM, A Winning Turbo Strategy That Is \'Outside the Box

he knows he has to live cards at best.. so he says go...

Don't like it tought

Shillx 08-05-2007 01:40 PM

Re: When to Ignore ICM, A Winning Turbo Strategy That Is \'Outside the Box

It's fine as long as everyone else plays according to ICM. It doesn't make a whole lot of sense against bad players or good players that will do the same thing to you.

pokerman777 08-05-2007 02:08 PM

Re: When to Ignore ICM, A Winning Turbo Strategy That Is \'Outside the

do you wanna say that it doesn't work on the stars and tilt 109+ ? On the table when 4-5 regulars at least . If yes , how to play there? ,according icm ?:)

DevinLake 08-05-2007 02:35 PM

Well, his analysis assumes that no one else every calls and busts. It ignores that he can pick up a hand in the next couple hands.

He also over values the value of the big stack on the bubble, when in order to get it he had to cripple someone that will have exactly one hand remaining before he's forced all in in the blinds. So, there really is no opportunity to pwn the bubble.

I think this was a terrible example he chose.

durron597 08-05-2007 02:40 PM

devin,

it's 5 handed not 4

not saying your whole point is wrong though

DevinLake 08-05-2007 02:49 PM

[ QUOTE ]
devin,

it's 5 handed not 4

not saying your whole point is wrong though

[/ QUOTE ]

ooops

agnoke10 08-05-2007 02:56 PM

I've been thinking/working/testing out a similar strategy in the same situation as him. I haven't done all the math, or run it through SNGwiz but anyway.

5 people left, 200/400/25 biggie pushing almost every hand and you are on the button. If you are shorty (not super short, but fairly) I have been calling biggie's UTG or MP push from the buttton or cutoff a little more liberally for a couple reasons.

1. biggie is pushing pretty wide, so a lot of hands are pretty good.
2. you are short and can not afford to let the blinds get through you (yea i know you can push the next couple hands on the other stacks, but a lot of times they call you loose and this is assuming biggie or someone else doesn't beat you into the pot)
3. taking a 50/50 (or better?!?) with biggie is very good for you right now, you have to make a move soon and getting it all in from the button here leaves all the SB and BB money in there to sweeten the pot (they overcall VERY tight)

what do you guys think?

eMbAh 08-05-2007 03:16 PM

If you think the biggie is shoving 100% you can just call with something that beats ATK, so i agree but you still follow icm, you just change the range?

Slim Pickens 08-05-2007 03:42 PM

If the other players at the table are better than your are or the table just sets up such that you will be forced to face many -$EV decisions, it makes some sense to take one -$EV gamble now to prevent a long string of them later. This is considering $EV hand-to-hand, as if we're plotting Hero's prize pool equity as a function of hand number or something similar, which is not the way we usually look at it. It actually a kind of game of chicken with the other players. If one of my opponents is going to be calling pushes with 98o, good things are going to happen to me by folding a lot of hands.

[ QUOTE ]
Remember, the next time you play a turbo SNG; the biggest mistakes your opponents will make are their FOLDS near the bubble.

[/ QUOTE ]
No, not really. A bad call is usually much worse than a bad fold in terms of the prize pool equity lost.