Two Plus Two Newer Archives

Two Plus Two Newer Archives (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/index.php)
-   Software (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/forumdisplay.php?f=47)
-   -   Pros/Cons of Apple Macintosh? (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/showthread.php?t=467543)

GrassHopperAA 08-02-2007 01:52 PM

Pros/Cons of Apple Macintosh?

With regards to playing internet poker seriously, what are the pros and cons of using an Apple Macintosh?

SuperNooB 08-02-2007 03:03 PM

Re: Pros/Cons of Apple Macintosh?

Windows is cheap and Dirty ... just the way I like it!

melioris 08-02-2007 05:56 PM

Any new mac with the intel chip can run both OSX and windows (after dual boot). I play my poker on the windows side of my mac and do everything else on the mac side. Others may suggest going with Virtual PC or some other product, but I have found dual boot to be more stable and have far superior performance.

As you can infer based on my reply, playing online poker in any serious manner in OSX is less than ideal. The tracking software is cumbersome and prone to crashing, and your choice of sites is very limited.

chawla2890 08-02-2007 06:23 PM

biggest con for poker on mac is the lack of programs that are fully functional. full tilt poker is the only fully functional program that i know of for the mac. also like melioris said you can't really use pokertracker and all those other programs, so if you are getting a mac, dual booting is the way to go.

i've been thinking about this too, since i want to get a macbook. i'd probably leave windows just for poker, and do everything else on mac, obv.

GrassHopperAA 08-07-2007 03:10 PM

Is dual boot a simple thing to do or do you have to simple configurations? Also, does it cost anything? I haven't go the mac yet.

Thanks

thejerkface 08-07-2007 04:14 PM

Dual Boot isn't that hard to do. Here's a Video Tutorial of how to set it up.

You can use Boot Camp to dual boot, which is free. However, you will have to pay for the Windows OS you want to use, whether it be Vista or XP.

Stake Monster 08-07-2007 08:37 PM

Macs suck. More expensive for no reason at all. Save yourself the hassle.

doublec 08-07-2007 09:02 PM

Sadly when it comes to online poker, using a macbook is not the best experience. FTP works fine, but any other site needs windows so you'll have to dual boot or use Parallels or VMWare. If you use HUD and/or Poker Tracker then you'll probably want to use the Windows FTP client as well.

pauly2x 08-08-2007 12:34 AM

FYI, Apple unveiled its new line of iMacs today. Gorgeous machines. (did I mention I love my Mac?)

WorksCited 08-08-2007 02:41 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Macs suck. More expensive for no reason at all. Save yourself the hassle.

[/ QUOTE ]

that is a myth...i love my macbook...and it was cheaper than any pc i have ever bought...i play on ftp...however i really wish stars had mac software (which i hear they are developing)...full tilt runs great on mac...i had trouble setting up the dual boot..so now i just go to my school library to play stars