Two Plus Two Newer Archives

Two Plus Two Newer Archives (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/index.php)
-   Home Poker (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/forumdisplay.php?f=26)
-   -   Ruling? (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/showthread.php?t=465776)

DrewDevil 07-31-2007 05:10 PM

Ruling?

Last night I was playing in a 2-5 NL game.

I had position heads up, and while I don't exactly remember the cards, I pretty much had the nuts and I was planning to bet the river.

With the action on him, the other player sort of mumbled something that sounded a little like "check" but I really couldn't make it out at all.

So I said "Check?" in a way that it was unmistakably a question. The other player immediately flipped over his cards and the dealer said we both had checked.

I won the pot, and the guy may have folded to a bet anyway, but do I have any argument that I wasn't checking behind and was just asking?

The

Small Fry 07-31-2007 05:23 PM

Re: Ruling?

Sure you do. Although I'm not sure what your going to achieve. Lets say you argue your point and win. You now know the other players cards and are free to take action. He knows you know his cards. Should you decide to bet he has to decide between two very clear options - you have him beat or you're bluffing. He doesn't need to guess anymore about what you think he might have and if you might be making some thin value bet. Not knowing anything else I have hard time seeing him call should you decide to bet as it looks like he was extremely ready for a free showdown.

Should this occur again you might want to change your phrasing to something like, "Dealer, has he acted yet" or "I'm sorry, did you say something" or possibly even, "Hey buddy, you gonna make a decision or what" followed up by "Oh, I'm sorry I didn't hear you. I'm all in then....." [img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]

DrewDevil 07-31-2007 05:33 PM

I agree, it didn't matter in this hand, just wondering about the ruling.

gusmahler 07-31-2007 05:34 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I won the pot, and the guy may have folded to a bet anyway, but do I have any argument that I wasn't checking behind and was just asking?

[/ QUOTE ]
You pretty much have no recourse. Next time, just say, "did you just (check, raise, etc.)?"

psandman 07-31-2007 07:27 PM

[ QUOTE ]
So I said "Check?" in a way that it was unmistakably a question.

[/ QUOTE ]

Apparently not. Since both the other player and dealer thought you said check in a manner that wasn't a question it is obvious that you didn't say it in a way that was unmistably a question.

DavidNB 07-31-2007 10:20 PM

You wouldn't have had a value point that you asked a question. You should of asked the guy if he checked like
Did you check?

Lottery Larry 08-01-2007 12:08 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
You pretty much have no recourse. Next time, just say, "did you just (check, raise, etc.)?"

[/ QUOTE ]

Agreed- make your statement clearer to avoid this confusion in the future

Zetack 08-01-2007 02:25 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Agreed- make your statement clearer to avoid this confusion in the future

[/ QUOTE ]

I don't think I've ever said Check? Call? or Raise? as a one word question at a poker table. I mean, c'mon, the trouble should be obvious.

pfapfap 08-02-2007 05:22 AM

I've run into an almost problem a few times when dealing, as i announce the action going around. "Check, check..." I'm more careful these days. I have said "Check?" a few times in a B&M limit game, but I'm in therapy and am showing progress.

DrewDevil 08-02-2007 03:56 PM

I definitely won't make the same mistake again, but I was just kind of curious about the technicalities of the situation.