Two Plus Two Newer Archives

Two Plus Two Newer Archives (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/index.php)
-   STT Strategy (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/forumdisplay.php?f=38)
-   -   Applying pro advice to $10+1 STTs (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/showthread.php?t=465197)

Kandahar 07-31-2007 02:16 AM

Applying pro advice to $10+1 STTs

I've read Harrington's book and Sklansky's book, and while they have definitely helped my game, it seems like some of the advice doesn't apply to these low stakes tables.

Some of the examples they give (such as folding under certain circumstances when you've flopped two pair) seem to almost NEVER apply to $10+1 tables, where everyone is so loose and many people are willing to raise with hands as low as middle pair. The standard wisdom that players are tight-aggressive until proven otherwise does not seem to apply.

How can I apply the advice from these books to these tables? Are there any books or guides specifically for low stakes STTs?

CheeseMoney 07-31-2007 02:29 AM

Re: Applying pro advice to $10+1 STTs

Oh brother...
Neither book applies to STTs, at pretty much any level, except for a few tiny general concepts (eg, manipulating the pot size).

Also, please read the FAQ, and come back in a few weeks.

Kandahar 07-31-2007 02:37 AM

Well that's what I mean. The general concepts are definitely good for helping my game, but it seems like the players are too loose to make some of the advice useful.

So what ARE some books/guides that are worthwhile for $10+1 STT players?

AlaskaGal 07-31-2007 02:47 AM

Sit 'n Go Strategy by Collin Moshman

I haven't read it yet because I just got it in the mail but it should cover the games you are asking about. You can purchase the book here on 2+2. Good Luck

jmillerdls 07-31-2007 02:48 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Well that's what I mean. The general concepts are definitely good for helping my game, but it seems like the players are too loose to make some of the advice useful.

[/ QUOTE ]

reading and posting in this forum is the absolute best way to improve your game.

pineapple888 07-31-2007 02:48 AM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

It's safest to just ignore everything Harrington has to say about STTs.

Expect at least one review in this forum very soon of an STT-specific book.

Otherwise, lurk here for a while, and read everything in the FAQ.

rhettoric 07-31-2007 12:28 PM

If you want to learn limit, read sklanksy
If you want to learn MTTs read Harrington
If you want to learn SNGs read the STT forum

(The Harrington remark is open to some debate. I know some great players that think Harrington's style is crap, but I disagree. If nothing else, learning about M transformed my game and, really, ICM is a much more detailed response to the same issues that are Harrington addresses with "infelction points")