Two Plus Two Newer Archives

Two Plus Two Newer Archives (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/index.php)
-   Sporting Events (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/forumdisplay.php?f=48)
-   -   What are your all time favorite announcers' calls? (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/showthread.php?t=463891)

legend42 07-29-2007 04:38 PM

What are your all time favorite announcers\' calls?

I'm sure this thread has been worked over a ton, but I haven't seen it in awhile, and I love to be reminded of the ones that have slipped out of my memory. Here are some personal favorites:

Musburger on the Flutie pass: "Flutie flushed...throws it down......caught by Boston College, I don't believe it!" Chills.

Vin Scully's Buckner call. Everyone knows this one start to finish, but the excerpt that always sticks out to me is his emphatic and somewhat surprised "behind the BAG...", as if he knew something weird was going to happen.

Bill Raftery's "Send it in, Jerome!" I want to say I saw this one live, but I'm not positive. Either way, it never loses its coolness.

Keith Jackson on the Kordell Stewart miracle vs. Michigan: "He's got THREE people down there..."

Musburger again, at the end of that Stanford-Arizona game a few years ago: "YES, YES, YES. Robinson at the buzzer!" Maybe the only time anybody has ever out-shouted Dick Vitale.

Thom Breneman's perfectly timed "The LATERAL!" on that amazing Boise State hitch-and-pitch play.

Orsillo's "and the Red Sox win on PATRIOTS DAY!" just as Mark Loretta was about to be mobbed at home plate.

LionelHutz00 07-29-2007 04:47 PM

Re: What are your all time favorite announcers\' calls?

In a year that's been so improbable, the impossible has happened.
http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/200.../p1_gibson.jpg

kyleb 07-29-2007 05:02 PM

AND THE INDIANS HAVE WON THE AL PENNANT

chaseUdown 07-29-2007 05:18 PM

The foghorn calling one of Bonds home runs

MicroBob 07-29-2007 05:24 PM

Don't forget the classics:

Russ Hodges, "The Giants win the pennant!"

Johnny Most, "Havlicek stole the ball!"

Al Michaels, "Do you believe in miracles? Yes!"

dustybottoms 07-29-2007 05:49 PM

I know Joe Buck doesn't get much love on this board, but two of his call stick out to me...

Ortiz into deep right field, back is Sheffield, we'll see you later tonight ('04 ALCS)

In the air to left field. Back, at the track, at the wall we are tied! (Leyritz '96 WS)

DrewDevil 07-29-2007 05:57 PM

"Oh, the band is out on the field!!!" from the 82 Cal-Stanford classic. That's my #1 favorite.

shemp 07-29-2007 06:10 PM

Favorite, I don't know, but here's two I want to contribute.

1. After Jay Haas' complete miss on the 18th tee of 1995 Ryder Cups singles at Oak Hill, Johnny Miller says, "Usually when you sky it, it goes straight." Still cracks me up. The pure genius and presence of mind there is remarkable.

2. A couple years ago I think it was Santiago catching for the SF Giants who takes a foul tip *obviously* right off his cup and doubles over. The broadcast cuts to commercial, and when they come back Krukow sets up the replay, "Okay. Let's see where this one gets him," (like he doesn't know) and they then proceed to run in it slow motion, and grunting a painful, "oh..." at they moment of impact. Krukow is the "color" guy, so apparently Kuiper was laughing to hard too pull this stunt because he didn't say a word and it would normally be to him to handle that on the broadcast.

thedeezy 07-29-2007 06:23 PM

Dan Dickerson calling Magglio's walk off in the ALCS last year

MicroBob 07-29-2007 06:32 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Krukow is the "color" guy, so apparently Kuiper was laughing to hard too pull this stunt because he didn't say a word and it would normally be to him to handle that on the broadcast.

[/ QUOTE ]

when the color guy opens the segment out of commercial reading some promo-card for "Hat-night this Tuesday" or analyzing a replay or something it's often-times because the play-by-play guy left the booth to go to the mens room and hadn't made it back yet.
Or sometimes he wants to try to finish a hamburger between innings or something and the color-guy agrees ahead of time that he'll go ahead and take it out of the break.

Your hunch that perhaps he was laughing too hard to speak is possible too I guess. But there are other extremely realistic possibilities that could also explain it.