Two Plus Two Newer Archives

Two Plus Two Newer Archives (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/index.php)
-   Small Stakes Shorthanded (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/forumdisplay.php?f=24)
-   -   I'm bad at playing rivers (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/showthread.php?t=462172)

strategery 07-27-2007 11:00 AM

I\'m bad at playing rivers

Full Tilt 0.25/0.5 Hold'em (5 handed)

Button is aggressive, but he can dump his hand when someone acts strong (which is why I didn't 3bet flop). Should I have checked this river to maybe induce a bluff since he probably won't call with anything I beat (or do I lose too much value from marginal hands that might call)?

Preflop: Hero is BB with J[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], Q[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img].
<font color="#666666">2 folds</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Button raises</font>, <font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, Hero calls.

Flop: (4.40 SB) 2[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], J[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], 6[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">Hero bets</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Button raises</font>, Hero calls.

Turn: (4.20 BB) 2[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">Hero bets</font>, Button calls.

River: (6.20 BB) A[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">Hero bets</font> ...

Final Pot: 6.20 BB

yourface 07-27-2007 11:01 AM

Re: I\'m bad at playing rivers

why are you betting into him on the flop?
why are you betting into him on the turn?

strategery 07-27-2007 11:05 AM

Because I'm a donk?

I thought I could get more bets in by leading because the other option would be checkraising which I think would scare him away.

yourface 07-27-2007 11:07 AM

he is going to bet with 100% of his hands when you check to him on the flop

he is not going to call a bet with many of those hands. he will call a c/r with many hands that he would not raise your bet with

JerBear77 07-27-2007 11:08 AM

3bet flop.

TWIWP River is a C/C for me as A hits people. I don't think villian is calling your bet with anything you beat here and i would hate to put two bets in which I would do because people like to raise scarecards.

Oh yea, C/R is much better here than leading out.

Oink 07-27-2007 11:09 AM

Check raise teh flop. No reason to donk since he is prolly betting 100%. I would only donk this flop if I intended to bet/3-bet.

Dont bet teh turn. He is not taking free cards that often (most likely never) and he will only raise you when you are behind. That is: 1 or 2 bets will go in when you are behind and 1 bet will go in when you are ahead. Since c/c'ing will have 1 bet going in either way you are better of by check/calling

As played I think the river bet is good. But it was the only street postflop you played right IMO

kaby 07-27-2007 11:12 AM

He is not taking free cards that often (most likely never)

I disagree. I see this play with overcards alot.

I do agree c/r is better though.

strategery 07-27-2007 11:19 AM

Thanks for the advice so far. I see how the checkraise is my best line here.

[ QUOTE ]
Dont bet teh turn. He is not taking free cards that often (most likely never) and he will only raise you when you are behind. That is: 1 or 2 bets will go in when you are behind and 1 bet will go in when you are ahead. Since c/c'ing will have 1 bet going in either way you are better of by check/calling

[/ QUOTE ]

Does this advice apply when I c/r the flop? I could see him checking behind a lot then so leading make more sense.

Gurravasa 07-27-2007 11:21 AM

Oh you should c/r this flop against an agressive player. If you think he bets worse hand than he calls you could induce a bluff on river. I think it could be a good move on this river since a lot of agressive player like to bluff scary rivers at that limit.

Oink 07-27-2007 11:22 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Thanks for the advice so far. I see how the checkraise is my best line here.

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Does this advice apply when I c/r the flop? I could see him checking behind a lot then so leading make more sense.

[/ QUOTE ]

C/r flop lead turn is the standard play here.