Two Plus Two Newer Archives

Two Plus Two Newer Archives (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/index.php)
-   News, Views, and Gossip (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/forumdisplay.php?f=31)
-   -   Do Poker Mags ever print stories that are detrimental to poker pros? (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/showthread.php?t=460356)

Texter 07-25-2007 11:42 AM

Do Poker Mags ever print stories that are detrimental to poker pros?

Say I had a story that would be detrimental to a famous pro...would a poker mag publish the story? Or do they just want to glorify poker pros and sweep the degeneracy under the rug?

brea 07-25-2007 01:03 PM

Re: Do Poker Mags ever print stories that are detrimental to poker pro

if they did they wouldn't be able to produce 'exclusive stories' with the players. the poker media needs the pros to publish their content and the players need the media to grow their popularity which leads to increased fanfare/endorsements...

knght311 07-25-2007 01:22 PM

Just tell us here...it is alot easier and probably more people would read it.

sixsixtie 07-25-2007 02:02 PM

I thought this was going to be a puff piece.
Lets start out with some easy ones. You know, favorite color? blue Favorite food? sardines

[Phill] 07-25-2007 02:48 PM

The treatment of Dutch Boyd in the past (and i guess the present too) is pretty telling of their views on how the negatives of face players should be treated.

I mean, the guy was the face of the WSOP in 04 or whenever the crew thing was kicking around, and it was last year that "the feel good story of the WSOP" happened when he won a bracelet.

ESPN also had a fair bit of coverage of his "troubled year" with his bi polar disorder etc - but ive never, ever, seen mention of him defrauding poker players and being a lying thief.

See Matusow in 05 where it was briefly mentioned he was jailed on drug charges, but not mentioned more than once and not gone into.

I havent seen Gold's lawsuit being talked about in depth in magazines or when it was there was a silver lining to it or it was simply glossed over.

I mean, i dont read everything or watch much poker on TV, so i might have missed some of this stuff. But i dont think so.

antisocialgrace 07-25-2007 03:20 PM

[ QUOTE ]
The treatment of Dutch Boyd in the past (and i guess the present too) is pretty telling of their views on how the negatives of face players should be treated.

I mean, the guy was the face of the WSOP in 04 or whenever the crew thing was kicking around, and it was last year that "the feel good story of the WSOP" happened when he won a bracelet.

ESPN also had a fair bit of coverage of his "troubled year" with his bi polar disorder etc - but ive never, ever, seen mention of him defrauding poker players and being a lying thief.

See Matusow in 05 where it was briefly mentioned he was jailed on drug charges, but not mentioned more than once and not gone into.

I havent seen Gold's lawsuit being talked about in depth in magazines or when it was there was a silver lining to it or it was simply glossed over.

I mean, i dont read everything or watch much poker on TV, so i might have missed some of this stuff. But i dont think so.

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm game. Maybe we could start with a website. I wonder if any of the subjects would have the balls to sue given how much they are probably hiding.

kevJ 07-25-2007 10:00 PM

already a website dedicated to poker player sex tape, penis photos, and all other bad behavior..neverwinpoker

[Phill] 07-25-2007 10:00 PM

You cant be sued in the same way tabloid magazines cant be sued - its all about wording it correctly and basing articles around quoted statements by your 'source'.

A poker tabloid website is probably a really really good startup idea - but you need a fair few contacts to get the juicy gossip - especially if you want to ever break some exclusives.

Ribsauce 07-25-2007 10:18 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]He freely talks about this himself all the time

MrFizzbin 07-25-2007 10:23 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Say I had a story that would be detrimental to a famous pro...would a poker mag publish the story? Or do they just want to glorify poker pros and sweep the degeneracy under the rug?

[/ QUOTE ]

NO they would not print ANYTHING detrimental to poker. Understand these magazines give away most of their copies so their revenue is generated by ad space paid for by on-line sites, and poker rooms. What benefit would it be for them ? they don't really care about readership they care about ads sold.