Two Plus Two Newer Archives

Two Plus Two Newer Archives (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/index.php)
-   Other Other Topics (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/forumdisplay.php?f=36)
-   -   Hypothetical - Sacrificing yourself to save others (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/showthread.php?t=457882)

hoyasnaxa 07-22-2007 09:17 PM

Hypothetical - Sacrificing yourself to save others

Here is the situation; lets say you are in class or at work or whatever, and a bunch of gunmen walk into the class and inform you that they will kill one person in the room at random, unless someone steps up and volunteers themselves. Would you sacrifice yourself to save others? Assume that there is no way to avoid someone being killed.

Would the number of people in the class affect your decision, like a class of 10 compared to a class of 300? What if your wife, girlfriend, mother, one person you care about a lot is in the group, would you step up in that case? Just wondering.

daryn 07-22-2007 09:20 PM

Re: Hypothetical - Sacrificing yourself to save others

i wouldn't sacrifice myself to save a random person, no.

i'm starting to think i wouldn't even sacrifice myself to save my own mother. i mean think about it. what would SHE want?

John Spartan 07-22-2007 09:20 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Here is the situation; lets say you are in class or at work or whatever, and a bunch of gunmen walk into the class and inform you that they will kill one person in the room at random, unless someone steps up and volunteers themselves. Would you sacrifice yourself to save others? Assume that there is no way to avoid someone being killed.

Would the number of people in the class affect your decision, like a class of 10 compared to a class of 300? What if your wife, girlfriend, mother, one person you care about a lot is in the group, would you step up in that case? Just wondering.

[/ QUOTE ]

I would step up for almost any person in the world. not joking. but that's because i'm not afraid of dying and i'm suicidal, so my opinion should probably be discounted. the only thing that stops me from doing it is the pain that it would cause to my family and i promised them i wouldn't. but life still sucks. i'm an only child so i probably will do it after my parents are dead.

Shadowrun 07-22-2007 09:21 PM

I would, cause i think i can disarm him :P

Sephus 07-22-2007 09:23 PM

no

John Spartan 07-22-2007 09:23 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

he said a bunch of gunmen. you couldn't.

Jasper109 07-22-2007 09:24 PM

[ QUOTE ]
no

[/ QUOTE ]

hoyasnaxa 07-22-2007 09:24 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I would step up for almost any person in the world. not joking. but that's because i'm not afraid of dying and i'm suicidal, so my opinion should probably be discounted. the only thing that stops me from doing it is the pain that it would cause to my family and i promised them i wouldn't. but life still sucks. i'm an only child so i probably will do it after my parents are dead.

[/ QUOTE ]

I think that would be a pretty noble way to commit suicide. Hopefully it doesnt come to this of course.

Shadowrun 07-22-2007 09:27 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

he said a bunch of gunmen. you couldn't.

[/ QUOTE ]

why not[img]/images/graemlins/confused.gif[/img], when he is about to shoot me, i dodge and grab his gun and shoot him. then i shoot all the other gunmen.

hoyasnaxa 07-22-2007 09:28 PM

[ QUOTE ]
i wouldn't sacrifice myself to save a random person, no.

i'm starting to think i wouldn't even sacrifice myself to save my own mother. i mean think about it. what would SHE want?

[/ QUOTE ]

I have no idea what I would do if this were to actually happen, but I do not think I would sacrifice myself for a random person, but if my sister, girlfriend, brother, or best friends were in the class, or even that I just respect greatly were one of the people, then I would. I imagine my parents would sacrifice themselves before allowing me to sacrifice myself, so that would be a wash.