Two Plus Two Newer Archives

Two Plus Two Newer Archives (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/index.php)
-   Tournament Circuit/WSOP (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/forumdisplay.php?f=67)
-   -   Find out more about Tuan Lam here (national post article) (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/showthread.php?t=456528)

mephisto 07-20-2007 11:35 PM

Find out more about Tuan Lam here (national post article)

Hey guys,

There was a really cool article about Tuan Lam in the national post sports section today (July 20th). I couldn't find the article online so here are some highlights. I thought he looked like a really cool guy before and now I respect him even more after reading about his life:

-He's 41 ! (big shocker)
-He escaped from Vietnam solo when he was 17 and lived in a refugee camp in Indonesia before coming to Canada.
-He's had many crappy jobs before finding poker (mowing lawns for $5/hr, mushroom farmer ($7/hr), metal factory ($10/hr) along with a second job at the same time (plastics company - $9/hr). He sent a lot of his money home to support his parents/family which left almost no money for himself.
-He currently lives in Toronto, has a wife, two children, and a minivan.
-Plans to send back $500k back to his home village, Bao Trinh, with some of it earmarked for a buddhist shrine.
-Insists that he wants a normal life.
-Article ends with him shopping around and falling in love with a 7k rolex watch, but then later deciding against it because it was too much.

Final sentence of the article: "Maybe after all these years, Tuan Lam hasn't changed so much. Every single dollar still matters."

Femmeonfelt 07-21-2007 12:28 AM

Re: Find out more about Tuan Lam here (national post article)

Tuan Lam is a friend of mine and he is a really great guy. Super generous to the hard working porters in the card rooms and just an overall good person! I am very happy for him and glad I had the chance to get to know him.

-Maria

SpacaB 07-21-2007 12:28 AM

sounds like a good guy

burningyen 07-21-2007 01:37 AM

Nice, congrats to him and his family. Sounds like it was a good bunch of guys at the final table.

Jasper109 07-21-2007 01:46 AM

Article

mephisto 07-21-2007 03:12 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Article

[/ QUOTE ]

Nice find, thanks. If readers of this post have time to go beyond the original notes of the article, I highly recommend checking this article out, it's v. well written.

Turn Prophet 07-21-2007 03:49 AM

Too bad God didn't want him to win. That must mean he's a bad person.

JOEL_ 07-21-2007 05:01 AM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Please take your childish comments to another forum.

BTW, his win was for nearly 5 million bucks.

RonWR 07-21-2007 10:55 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Please take your childish comments to another forum.

BTW, his win was for nearly 5 million bucks.

[/ QUOTE ]

I think he was being cynical, and anyway being god's 2nd favorite son would be fine by me [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

spaceman Bryce 07-21-2007 12:59 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
I agree with this post so much. I mean Tuan Lam is obviously a truly great guy. Jerry Yang does a southern baptist pitch and gives ten % to Mcdonalds with tax writeoff potential and blabs on about it on national TV, and claims to glorify god. Tuan Lam says nothing but he works his azz off for twenty years to provide for his family and gives away 500 grand to his family and hometown silently. what a terrible athiest buddhist scum.