Two Plus Two Newer Archives

Two Plus Two Newer Archives (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/index.php)
-   Other Other Topics (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/forumdisplay.php?f=36)
-   -   Do i have to pay my late fee? (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/showthread.php?t=455290)

mooney 07-19-2007 03:55 PM

Do i have to pay my late fee?

I rented two movies on 6/29 from blockbuster, Munich and Harsh Times. I went out of town for the next 3 weeks, and forgot all about these movies.

When I got into town today i saw the movies sitting on the dvd player, and immediately knew i was screwed.

Checked the mail, and there it was, a little postcard informing me of my $70 late fee.

So, do i have to pay my latefee?

I'm wondering how much it could hurt my credit. (never owned any credit cards)

secretprankster 07-19-2007 03:56 PM

Re: Do i have to pay my late fee?

Call Netflix and they'll make a commercial out of you.

pergesu 07-19-2007 03:56 PM

If you turn them in you'll have to pay a $1.50 stocking fee for each one.

Dan. 07-19-2007 04:09 PM

I thought Blockbuster had "no late fees?" Or do you owe $70 from their re-renting the movies to you?

stabn 07-19-2007 04:11 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I thought Blockbuster had "no late fees?" Or do you owe $70 from their re-renting the movies to you?

[/ QUOTE ]

I think that no late fee [censored] went away. But he can probably say he lost them and pay less than $70 in replacement fees (and keep the movies).

pergesu 07-19-2007 04:25 PM

I kept a movie out for over 30 days and then returned it. They charged me to keep the movie. I called up the store and asked if they had it there, they said it was in the customer-owned bin waiting for me to pick it up. So I asked if they could just take it back since, um, it's in their possession. But they said no, told me how bad of a policy that would be for them, blah blah. I asked if I could get a number for customer service, and the employee got the manager instead. The manager told me that it was pointless to call customer support and nothing would come of it. I asked her to humor me, she reluctantly gave it to me.

I called up customer support and explained myself. I realize this was my mistake, I kept the movie for more than 30 days and now own it per their policy. But my family's been renting movies from them for over 10 years...they could be lenient in this case, especially since they have the movie sitting at the store. They said they'd get back to me the next day. Next day they called me up and said they waived the fees on my account.

Blockbuster stores are undoubtedly populated by morons. But as a company, Blockbuster hasn't stayed in business all these years by being totally friggin retarded. If for some reason the store won't help you out with the movies, call up customer care and talk to them.

tehbomb 07-19-2007 04:53 PM

Harsh Times was awful, they should let you off debt free for having watched it

4 High 07-19-2007 08:06 PM

As someone who runs a store i will let you know that yes you can return them. At most you will owe 3 Bucks and some change. If they give you a problem at the register, just stick it in the outside return bin. Unless of course its been more then 4 weeks, in that case they are not returnable. If it has indeed been 3, you are fine. They will ask you to return on time next time, and you will be done.

Any other BB related questions, ask away.

blackize 07-19-2007 09:48 PM

[ QUOTE ]

I called up customer support and explained myself. I realize this was my mistake, I kept the movie for more than 30 days and now own it per their policy. But my family's been renting movies from them for over 10 years...they could be lenient in this case, especially since they have the movie sitting at the store. They said they'd get back to me the next day. Next day they called me up and said they waived the fees on my account.

Blockbuster stores are undoubtedly populated by morons. But as a company, Blockbuster hasn't stayed in business all these years by being totally friggin retarded. If for some reason the store won't help you out with the movies, call up customer care and talk to them.

[/ QUOTE ]

It's actually a really stupid policy. The manager gets in a bunch of hot water for taking the movies back because the only way to do it is to credit your account. His district manager will be up his ass if he takes care of this for you. He also gets in a lot of trouble if he lets things escalate to you being forced to call customer service.

imsobroke 07-19-2007 10:03 PM

I had this happen to me once with a game for my 360. I had it out over a month. I had just forgotten all about it. Then I saw the charge on my CC. I returned it asked "what the deal was I thought you had no more late fees?" The guy told me they don't have late fees if you get it back within a week or something liek that and then they charge you. If you bring it back you get hit with a $1.50 re-stocking fee. So, it cost me $1.50 to have a game out for over a month. You should get your money back without a problem.