Two Plus Two Newer Archives

Two Plus Two Newer Archives (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/index.php)
-   Small Stakes Limit (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/forumdisplay.php?f=19)
-   -   3-6 live. Should I try to limp with suited Aces early pos. (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/showthread.php?t=455058)

Vee Quiva 07-19-2007 11:19 AM

3-6 live. Should I try to limp with suited Aces early pos.

3-6 live game. The table is predominantly passive with one or two slightly aggressive players. It is a no fold'em hold'em game.

Does it make sense to limp with ATs or small suited Aces with the idea that there will be 4-7 players to the flop?

I'm not raised very often when I do this and if I hit the Ace it's usually good (at least until someone hits their two pair or runner draw on the river).

The problem is if it does get raised, I'm probably going to lose 3 bets because I call 2 preflop and then the flop is usually laying up to 18-1 to put in another bet to see what happens on the turn.

So is this a leak or smart strategy in a loose passive game?

KitCloudkicker 07-19-2007 11:24 AM

Re: 3-6 live. Should I try to limp with suited Aces early pos.

ATs is a good limp if you know theres going to be a raiser and cold callers, giving you an opportunity to limp reraise.

other than that you should be raising it yourself.

Axs is gold on a loose-passive table in any position.

Vee Quiva 07-19-2007 11:27 AM

Why would I take the chance on limiting the field with A [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]5 [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] with a raise in early position? It seems like I will get more of the crap hands to fold and more of the good hands to call.

KitCloudkicker 07-19-2007 12:08 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Why would I take the chance on limiting the field with A [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]5 [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] with a raise in early position? It seems like I will get more of the crap hands to fold and more of the good hands to call.

[/ QUOTE ]

I said ATs.

A5s is a limp.

see the SSL digest for a link on this topic (what are suited aces worth, anyway)? it's stickied at the top of the forum.

fishyak 07-19-2007 12:44 PM

For me, ATs in EP is a clear raise. For the purpose of building deception in the future and broadening my raising range, I like to raise slightly weaker hands from an early position. Most live sessions are too short and the players too unobservant to figure out that my raises are partially position dependent.

Getting 3 bet isn't the end of the world, either. Depending on the source of the 3 bet, you now know that your flush draw is more important than hitting your Ace. And it is important to raise PF with EV+ hands in almost all circumstances.

TheCount212 07-19-2007 12:56 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Axs is gold on a loose-passive table in any position.

[/ QUOTE ]

Amen, brother.

Lanzalot 07-19-2007 01:25 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I said ATs.

A5s is a limp.

[/ QUOTE ]

FWIW, KCloud, I thought the same thing initially, that you meant raise with suited Aces smaller than AT. But now I see what you mean. I also think the ATs LRR play you mentioned is interesting, but works best against a maniac, someone you have strong reason to believe is raising with something worse than AJ+. With AT, you just get hurt too much when your dominated by a bigger ace, and I don't think the few times you make the flush makes up for it. In your scenario, a typical player has 36 ways to have AJ+, 21 ways he can have KK-TT, 3 ways he can have AA (where your really screwed). So your still more likely to be against a bigger ace or aces, even though you can account for one of them, then you are against the other hands I mentioned where you have some equity.

Maybe your use of the play is very read and situationally dependent and this is how you use it already. If so, sorry for droning on.

KitCloudkicker 07-19-2007 02:35 PM

[ QUOTE ]

FWIW, KCloud, I thought the same thing initially, that you meant raise with suited Aces smaller than AT. But now I see what you mean. I also think the ATs LRR play you mentioned is interesting, but works best against a maniac, someone you have strong reason to believe is raising with something worse than AJ+. With AT, you just get hurt too much when your dominated by a bigger ace, and I don't think the few times you make the flush makes up for it. In your scenario, a typical player has 36 ways to have AJ+, 21 ways he can have KK-TT, 3 ways he can have AA (where your really screwed). So your still more likely to be against a bigger ace or aces, even though you can account for one of them, then you are against the other hands I mentioned where you have some equity.

Maybe your use of the play is very read and situationally dependent and this is how you use it already. If so, sorry for droning on.

[/ QUOTE ]

good point here.

first, i rarely limp ATs, so this play is quite rare in general.

and yes, the only time i do LRR ATs, is when there is a known maniac or LAGGO behind me who likes to raise 40% or more of his hands preflop.

if there are only TAGs or Nits or LPPs behind me then i dont even bother with a LRR. i simply open with a raise.

PokrLikeItsProse 07-19-2007 06:32 PM

If your EP raises get respected but loads of people follow behind you, would you prefer a heads-up or three-way raised pot with ATs or a six- or seven-way limped pot? Given my table image, I find that raising ATs UTG sometimes gives me a choice between those alternatives.