Two Plus Two Newer Archives

Two Plus Two Newer Archives (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/index.php)
-   Stud (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/forumdisplay.php?f=22)
-   -   Razz: Should One Ever Open Limp? (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/showthread.php?t=452479)

TomBrooks 07-16-2007 01:53 PM

Razz: Should One Ever Open Limp?

Is is ever "good" (wise, advisable, OK) to open limp in Razz? Discuss.

DJ Sensei 07-16-2007 05:51 PM

Re: Razz: Should One Ever Open Limp?

lots of times its good to limp in early position, especially if there are little cards behind you to act.

sometimes do it with 862 or 765, sometimes do it with A23 or A45 (and reraise when it comes back around)

Sp00n 07-16-2007 06:06 PM

It's important to mix it up, but I really hate open limping.

*TT* 07-16-2007 06:26 PM

My advice: The only time top open limp is when the pot is so large that you would be laying a great price to the bringin to call and try to out-flop you. The requirement for this situation is that you must be the last lowcard showing, if there are other lows between yourself and the bring in its wiser to complete. if you feel you cannot complete because the cards you need are dead then its probably wiser to fold in the first place.

Bill King 07-16-2007 06:39 PM

if there is a guy behind you who is kinda spazzy and trying to outplay everybody i tend to play more passively.. even if he hurts me every so often with a random made hand in the long term it will be very profitable

*TT* 07-16-2007 06:54 PM

[ QUOTE ]
if there is a guy behind you who is kinda spazzy and trying to outplay everybody i tend to play more passively.. even if he hurts me every so often with a random made hand in the long term it will be very profitable

[/ QUOTE ]

Good point Bill, I was only including normal situations in my example but as your described thats a great time to deviate.

ChipsAhoya 07-16-2007 08:14 PM

[ QUOTE ]
My advice: The only time top open limp is when the pot is so large that you would be laying a great price to the bringin to call and try to out-flop you. The requirement for this situation is that you must be the last lowcard showing, if there are other lows between yourself and the bring in its wiser to complete. if you feel you cannot complete because the cards you need are dead then its probably wiser to fold in the first place.

[/ QUOTE ]

Can you elaborate on this, TT? Are you saying we're supposed to do this when we don't have a hand and we know the B/I will probably call?

-ChipsAhoya

chillrob 07-16-2007 10:12 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm confused - how can the pot be large when you open limp?
Doesn't this mean when you are the first one to enter the pot?

FWIW, if I remember correctly Sklansky on Razz says to never open limp.

Rob

GiantBuddha 07-17-2007 01:40 AM

[ QUOTE ]
FWIW, if I remember correctly Sklansky on Razz says to never open limp.

[/ QUOTE ]

He says rarely to open limp. Basically with monsters and hands which would like to see 4th street cheaply, like three decent low cards with some dead outs. But this is probably less correct in a game with a normal or large ante. Apparently they used to play $15/30 with a $1 ante. Must have been a real nitfest. I've played $15/30 stud 8 with a $1 ante 10 handed. Not much action.

Andy B 07-17-2007 01:49 AM

If you never open-limp in razz, you won't be too far wrong.