Two Plus Two Newer Archives

Two Plus Two Newer Archives (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/index.php)
-   Business, Finance, and Investing (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/forumdisplay.php?f=32)
-   -   Oh-noes (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/showthread.php?t=450495)

IdealFugacity 07-13-2007 07:41 PM

Oh-noes

Ye older posters sure are lucky, because I'm tired of seeing "WALL STREET ROARING SKYWARD" on Drudge Report and elsewhere. I fear my first couple years of retirement savings will be "buy high" investments! : (

emon87 07-13-2007 08:13 PM

Re: Oh-noes

meh, you could wait a couple months if you feel that the market/your stock picks are seriously overvalued at this point.

But when you retire in 20/30/40 years, the difference will hardly matter.

DesertCat 07-13-2007 10:43 PM

Don't look at the index values, look at their PE values and see how they compare to historic levels. I think you'll be a little less freaked out.

jt082005 07-14-2007 02:22 AM

[ QUOTE ]
meh, you could wait a couple months if you feel that the market/your stock picks are seriously overvalued at this point.

[/ QUOTE ]

agree here, but depending on how you have it set up you could just buy some now...sell with an increase (or hold since it probably wont matter too much) and rebuy them when they lower (assuming you feel this will happen)

Brainwalter 07-16-2007 12:41 AM

Just remind yourself they are not at new highs when you account for inflation!

ski 07-16-2007 01:17 AM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

umm losing 20-30% of ur money at ground 0 makes a huge dufference over 20-40 years.

Still I think OP would be fine to stick his $$ in stocks.

kimchi 07-16-2007 01:58 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

umm losing 20-30% of ur money at ground 0 makes a huge dufference over 20-40 years.

Still I think OP would be fine to stick his $$ in stocks.

[/ QUOTE ]

It's not as if he's going to dump his savings in one lump sum.

It's cheesy, but dollar cost averaging is perfectly suitable for most investors using a diversified portfolio.

Folkes scared by Greenspan's 'Irrational Exuberance' speech or Robert Prechter's eternal doom-mongering in the mid 90s would have lost out on one of the greatest bull markets in history.

The later part of this decade may be even better, or you may bust by the end of the year.

It's +EV in the long run, and the best time to start is now. Delaying because of fears that the market is overpriced is -EV.

jws43yale 07-16-2007 10:32 AM

Agreed, people are going nuts b/c the dow may hit 14,000. Markets should continually reach new highs year after year as our economy grows and inflation deflates their real valuations.