Two Plus Two Newer Archives

Two Plus Two Newer Archives (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/index.php)
-   Medium Stakes Limit (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/forumdisplay.php?f=55)
-   -   Clarifying "Medium Stakes" (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/showthread.php?t=448990)

Aaron W. 07-11-2007 10:30 PM

Clarifying \"Medium Stakes\"

From the sticky:

[ QUOTE ]
This forum is for limit holdem hands in the range of 10/20 to 40/80.

[/ QUOTE ]

Does this refer to online playing or live?

Perhaps a short introduction is in order to clear up why I'm asking: I a long time microlimit player/poster who has recently moved to Henderson and interested in playing live (probably jumping in at 15/30). But before I do that, I want to lurk the forum here to see if my game is roughly on par with the types of games I hope to play.

Also, I've looked at www.allvegaspoker.com to see what games are housed where, but I don't know how up to date it is. Below is what I found. Does it sound about right (for any Vegas regulars out there)?

$10/20 - Binions (usually weekends), Ceasars (occasionally on weekends), Mirage (regularly)
$15/30 - Red Rock (occasionally), Venetian (regularly), Wynn (regularly), Bellagio (regularly with sometimes long waits)
$20/40 - Mirage (regularly)

rafiki 07-11-2007 10:32 PM

Re: Clarifying \"Medium Stakes\"

it's online or live

and I can't really comment on all the ML games in vegas, but the wynn and bellagio have always been good to me.

that_pope 07-11-2007 11:20 PM

During WSOP might be different, but forget about Caesars.

Bellagio has 15/30 and 30/60 (along with 8/16)
Wynn has 15/30 and 30/60 (can't remember if they run 8/16)
Venetian sporatically has games.
Mirage has 10/20 and 20/40.

I have only played the Mirage 10/20, and Bellagio/Wynn 15/30. I enjoy the 15/30 game a lot.

My advice, start with the Bellagio 8/16 game, simply to get used to playing live, and some of the players. And live play is different from online play in general. That game requires between 300-600 on an average day to play.

Bill C 07-11-2007 11:30 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Wynn has 15/30 and 30/60 (can't remember if they run 8/16)

[/ QUOTE ]

Wynn offers 8-16.

bc

Joe Tall 07-11-2007 11:41 PM

[ QUOTE ]
But before I do that, I want to lurk the forum here to see if my game is roughly on par with the types of games I hope to play.

[/ QUOTE ]

You have been missing out on a lot if you haven't been reading this forum.

Aaron W. 07-12-2007 12:18 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
But before I do that, I want to lurk the forum here to see if my game is roughly on par with the types of games I hope to play.

[/ QUOTE ]

You have been missing out on a lot if you haven't been reading this forum.

[/ QUOTE ]

There are lots of things I miss out on, and I accept that as a normal part of life. But rather than dwell on the time missed, I'll look ahead to see what I have to gain.

Aaron W. 07-12-2007 12:21 AM

[ QUOTE ]
My advice, start with the Bellagio 8/16 game, simply to get used to playing live, and some of the players. And live play is different from online play in general. That game requires between 300-600 on an average day to play.

[/ QUOTE ]

When you say "get used to playing live", do you mean with respect to the mechanics of live play? I've played live before multiple times over the last 5-6 years, and I'm pretty comfortable with the live poker room environment.

that_pope 07-12-2007 01:10 AM

Not just the mechanics, but the thinking behind it. Especially if you have been playing 6-max online. Online play is either a lot tighter (full ring) or a lot looser (6-max) than a live full game. And most shorthanded games never get as aggressive as the 6-max games online.

Captain R 07-12-2007 01:14 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I a long time microlimit player/poster who has recently moved to Henderson and interested in playing live (probably jumping in at 15/30).

[/ QUOTE ]

This doesn't make any sense to me. I've never played microlimit online, but I can't imagine the games are anything like a live 15/30 game.

Why would you do this? Did you scratch up $10k playing .25/.50 on Pokerstars? Am I missing something here?

Hass 07-12-2007 01:15 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Not just the mechanics, but the thinking behind it. Especially if you have been playing 6-max online. Online play is either a lot tighter (full ring) or a lot looser (6-max) than a live full game. And most shorthanded games never get as aggressive as the 6-max games online.

[/ QUOTE ]

I don't think I've ever been in a live game that is nearly as aggressive as 6max online. I think I could pick the nine most tight aggressive players that I have played with and put them in a live game and It would be more passive than online. I've never really played limit anywhere but CAZ, may be different other places.