Two Plus Two Newer Archives

Two Plus Two Newer Archives (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/index.php)
-   Brick and Mortar (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/forumdisplay.php?f=29)
-   -   Ruling: 4 cards dealt on the flop (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/showthread.php?t=448062)

Cornell Fiji 07-10-2007 10:05 PM

Ruling: 4 cards dealt on the flop

What is the correct ruling here?
If the floor screwed up the ruling how do you handle it if you're the guy with the 7s?

[ QUOTE ]
What Are The Odds?

Steve Seidman was all-in with pocket tens against pocket sevens. With his tournament life at stake, Seidman was devastated when a seven fell on the flop. But, should it have been there? The dealer accidentally dealt a four-card flop, and Seidman called the floor for a ruling on what to do about the flop. When the floor staff arrived, everyone at the table pointed out that it was quite obvious that the seven was part of the three-card flop, regardless of the dealer's mistake.

However, it was ruled for the cards to be reshuffled and a new flop dealt, much to the dislike of the player holding pocket sevens.

Against many odds, a seven was again dealt on the flop. But there's a catch yet again, as this flop contained two clubs. Seidman went on to catch running clubs to compliment his and survive his all-in

Coincidence? Destiny? Or just pure odds? You do the math.

[/ QUOTE ]

lmcjaho 07-10-2007 10:15 PM

Re: Ruling: 4 cards dealt on the flop

You go buy yourself a beer to commiserate - floor ruling was correct.

GiantBuddha 07-10-2007 10:27 PM

Isn't the fourth card just the burn before the turn card? Unless the dealer can't tell which card is which. They should be able to tell on camera, anyway.

lmcjaho 07-10-2007 10:37 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Isn't the fourth card just the burn before the turn card? Unless the dealer can't tell which card is which. They should be able to tell on camera, anyway.

[/ QUOTE ]

The problem is that the most common reason for a four card flop also makes it difficult to say with certainty which card is the extra card.

Maliant 07-10-2007 10:59 PM

decision seems fine to me

chillrob 07-10-2007 11:42 PM

I think the problem is dealers who try to get fancy and throw the flop out all at once. If they dealt one at a time this wouldn't happen.

Give the dealer a kick in the nuts.

RR 07-10-2007 11:43 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

There is no way to tell which card shouldn't be there. We certainly aren't stopping to look at the camera. Going to the camera is something that might happen once every 5 or 10 years for the average floor person.

GiantBuddha 07-11-2007 12:10 AM

I've only ever seen it ruled that way, where the last card goes back. Should I be complaining about this ruling?

RR 07-11-2007 12:40 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I've only ever seen it ruled that way, where the last card goes back. Should I be complaining about this ruling?

[/ QUOTE ]

I see this missed all the time. A lot of people dont' realize that if there are 4 cards when there are supposed to be 3 that 2 cards stuck together. I see no logical reason to assume which cards stuck together (just tonight I used 4 cards to show someone that you can't tell which one should have been the next burn).

Gonso 07-11-2007 12:47 AM

And if the dealer put down four cards by accident somehow, fourth flop card as you see it would have been the first card dealt from the deck, unless they flop right to left instead of left to right. Mostly it's just cards sticking, though.

It's too messy to do anything but re-deal the flop. It's not like there would have been any action.