Two Plus Two Newer Archives

Two Plus Two Newer Archives (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/index.php)
-   Internet Gambling (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/forumdisplay.php?f=30)
-   -   Poll for med/hi stakes players - do you have a backup connection? (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/showthread.php?t=446559)

Svarog 07-09-2007 06:55 AM

Poll for med/hi stakes players - do you have a backup connection?

This poll is for pros/semipros and amateurs who play a lot of medium/high stakes (e.g. NL400+, tournaments with buyins $100+, etc.).

If you have a backup connection, I would be interested to hear about how your system works. Let's say you have cable internet and DSL -- if you lose the connection on one, how do you switch quickly to the other?

Dennisa 07-09-2007 11:52 AM

Re: Poll for med/hi stakes players - do you have a backup connection?

If my Internet goes down, I just attach to the unsecured wifi upstairs.

sonneti 07-09-2007 11:58 AM

I ring my dad!! [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]

ChipFerFree 07-09-2007 12:39 PM

tether to your cell phone and boom yer set -- even at the airport. Oooops I took the poll and I'm only a micro player right now - so sorry...

Can I still have a backup?

DMoogle 07-09-2007 02:04 PM

I play mostly NL400, but some NL200, NL600, and NL1000. My internet connection is very reliable (FIOS) and almost never goes down, except occasionally in the middle of the night. My internet connection is much more reliable than the site I play on, in terms of disconnecting (FTP.

snappo 07-09-2007 02:31 PM

you could use something like this:

http://www.xterasys.com/xr4106.htm

basically any router that has 2 WAN ports should do it.

luvrhino 07-09-2007 04:55 PM

The best thing i did was to purchase a UPS for the computer. It's already more than paid for itself.

If i start getting late into a tournament (or i think i'll need to go to the bathroom soon), i'll fire up the laptop which does both wireless and wired LAN. If cable craps out, i do have dialup...i think only on my laptop. It's been awhile since i tested it and since RoadRunner is converting to Comcast in Houston, i have no idea how that might change.

Svarog 07-09-2007 05:55 PM

[ QUOTE ]
tether to your cell phone and boom yer set -- even at the airport. Oooops I took the poll and I'm only a micro player right now - so sorry...

[/ QUOTE ]

Alright, I SUPPOSE I'll allow it! But seriously, I just figured that it would usually not be cost effective for micro players to pay for a backup connection, and therefore didn't want the results to be skewed with a lot of "No" votes. No snobbery intended!

Considering that my cable internet connection rarely fails, I think that a dialup backup would be sufficient. Can anyone recommend a free/cheap dialup ISP?

I see a few options on Google, but would like to avoid the ones that involve installing software and viewing ads.

By the way, this question is open to micro and macro players alike. [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]

jukofyork 07-09-2007 07:12 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Alright, I SUPPOSE I'll allow it! But seriously, I just figured that it would usually not be cost effective for micro players to pay for a backup connection, and therefore didn't want the results to be skewed with a lot of "No" votes. No snobbery intended!

[/ QUOTE ]
For even quite low level SNG multi-tablers a net outage of over 20 mins can be pretty costly compared to the cost of a backup connection (eg: 10 tables of $11 SNGs is a loss of $110, have that happen twice in a month and it ends up costing you more than a years worth of backup connection...).

Juk [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

lawsoncb 07-09-2007 07:43 PM

I use Net Zero free Dial up. I think you you get up to 10 hours free a month. It has always been reliable when needed.