Two Plus Two Newer Archives

Two Plus Two Newer Archives (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/index.php)
-   Televised Poker (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/forumdisplay.php?f=39)
-   -   Stu Ungar's Third Title (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/showthread.php?t=444365)

KnightEnder 07-06-2007 10:27 AM

Stu Ungar\'s Third Title

I watched it again last night. It was kind of disappointing. Even the great Stu Ungar made several misreads and had to draw out on the last hand (he was dominated going in) to beat an amateur. Heck, Yasmine Bleathe made it through several hundred players before being knocked out. And she was just taught by Vince Van Patton!

I guess the most you can take from it is that being good puts you in a position to get “lucky”. Man I hate that word.

I've won several 60 man tourneys and think I'm getting good, but maybe I'm just catching cards? (Though I won the last one without once being dealt AA, KK, QQ.)

I guess if there wasn't luck involved Phil Helmuth would win them all. So we can be thankful for that, at least.

KE

lostsoul 07-06-2007 03:49 PM

Re: Stu Ungar\'s Third Title

I guess if there wasn't luck involved Phil Helmuth would win them all. So we can be thankful for that, at least.

KE

[/ QUOTE ]

Tell me u are leveling us.

blankoblanco 07-06-2007 09:39 PM

[ QUOTE ]

Tell me u are leveling us.

[/ QUOTE ]

Tell me this reply is an ultra-sophisticated super level

Dima2000123 07-06-2007 10:21 PM

His second title wasn't much more impressive. At one point during the final table he hit a two outer on the turn while he was all-in and covered, among other lucky breaks.

jah7_fsu1 07-07-2007 02:55 AM

Are you guys trying to say that to win a large field tournament you won't always be way ahead and it will require a significant amount of luck to win?

GROUNDBREAKING

Dima2000123 07-07-2007 05:53 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Are you guys trying to say that to win a large field tournament you won't always be way ahead and it will require a significant amount of luck to win?

GROUNDBREAKING

[/ QUOTE ]
There is a difference between needing a little luck, and constantly catching the break when you desperately need it.

demon102 07-07-2007 11:54 PM

theres a phrase that sicks in my mind about unger and has shoped the way I think about him, he was known for some hero calls but was never known for great laydowns

compared to todays players he seemed like a spewtard

Teddy_FBI 07-08-2007 03:20 PM

yes the third party is nbetter

Chilltown 07-08-2007 05:16 PM

"I've won several 60 man tourneys and think I'm getting good, but maybe I'm just catching cards?"

Nah, just better than Stu Ungar apparently.

Maliant 07-09-2007 03:46 AM

haha OP owns Stu Ungar.