Two Plus Two Newer Archives

Two Plus Two Newer Archives (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/index.php)
-   Sporting Events (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/forumdisplay.php?f=48)
-   -   Soccer debate - Club vs. National Team (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/showthread.php?t=442992)

TalkingDonkey 07-04-2007 05:13 PM

Soccer debate - Club vs. National Team

Got into a debate last night - I argued that the Champions' League winner (or any top club) would defeat the World Cup winner. Reason being a club team with a huge budget like Madrid/ManUtd/Chelsea can pick and choose among the best players in the world, whereas a national team is confined by only being able to use players from that country. His argument was that some national teams (France, Brazil) are just so ridiculously talented that no club can match up with them; they also play with much better chemistry, he said. So denizens of 2p2, what say you?

hoyasnaxa 07-04-2007 05:15 PM

Re: Soccer debate - Club vs. National Team

obv club teams would win.

mosdef 07-04-2007 05:15 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Got into a debate last night - I argued that the Champions' League winner (or any top club) would defeat the World Cup winner. Reason being a club team with a huge budget like Madrid/ManUtd/Chelsea can pick and choose among the best players in the world, whereas a national team is confined by only being able to use players from that country. His argument was that some national teams (France, Brazil) are just so ridiculously talented that no club can match up with them; they also play with much better chemistry, he said. So denizens of 2p2, what say you?

[/ QUOTE ]

If you think the Italian national team is weaker than AC Milan you're crazy. But the top flight clubs and top flight international teams would be competitive versus each other. My unsubstantiated guess is the international teams would take away 60-65% of the points.

valenzuela 07-04-2007 05:27 PM

National teams, its not even that close.

Wondercall 07-04-2007 05:57 PM

How can national teams have more chemistry than club teams?

THAY3R 07-04-2007 06:47 PM

[ QUOTE ]
they also play with much better chemistry

[/ QUOTE ]

lol

mason55 07-04-2007 07:23 PM

so first three posts are

obv club teams
50/50
obv national teams

personally i think club teams would have a 60-65% advantage

daca 07-04-2007 07:56 PM

[ QUOTE ]
obv club teams would win.

[/ QUOTE ]

ThaSaltCracka 07-04-2007 08:31 PM

club teams.

mmbt0ne 07-04-2007 08:31 PM

Countries would beat 95% of clubs. The highest of club teams would beat most countries.

Top clubs and top countries would be very competitive with no more than a 5-10% advantage either way.