Two Plus Two Newer Archives

Two Plus Two Newer Archives (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/index.php)
-   Brick and Mortar (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/forumdisplay.php?f=29)
-   -   Am I out of line for this? (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/showthread.php?t=442660)

Thundercat32 07-04-2007 08:30 AM

Am I out of line for this?

I was playing at the Horseshoe in Bossier City last night and I had a semi altercation with another player.

The river card was dealt and I'm first to act, but my opponent acted out of turn and pushed her remaining (what looked like $75) chips out. I informed her I hadn't checked yet and she pulled her chips back. I tried to study her for a quick read and then it occurred to me I couldn't see very well how many chips see had remaining. In fact I wasn't for sure the stack of $75 was all of her remaining chips. So I asked the dealer for a count and he said haphazardly "about 55 or so". I said well could you maybe tell me for sure? Then this "beauty queen" pops off with a "hey it isn't the World Series of Poker just bet enough to put me all in or check!"

I took offense to that and then I got up walked over to her chair and leaned my head in to see exactly how many chips she had (I was sitting acroos the table from her). It turned out she only had $50 left. So when I checked and she pushed it made it an easy call.

Okay now here's what I want to know if I'm out of line for or if any of you would do the same thing. About 30 minutes later I'm in a hand with her and one other player. It's a decent size pot with a preflop raise and 2 callers. "Beauty Queen" is in position and we both checked to her. She makes a C-bet and I come over the top for 2 1/2 times more which she folds to. I immediately flip over Q-9 (absolute air just Queen high) and I tell her "if you wouldn't of had to be such a jack@ss about how much you had left I would of given you credit for that hand and I wouldn't of just bluffed you out of a $50 pot. This isn't the World Series of Poker, but somehow I knew I could push you off of that pot smart@ss!". Like I had this smart@ss in my sights for the last 30 minutes just waiting for a spot to bluff her out of a pot in. She got pretty ticked and got up from the table.

You'd think I'd feel bad, but I actually felt pretty good. And correct me if I'm wrong but doesn't the dealer have an obligation to let you know how many chips a player has remaining any time you ask them to? I see this done all the time.

Fishhead24 07-04-2007 08:32 AM

Re: Am I out of line for this?

POKER is WAR

W brad 07-04-2007 08:41 AM

You should have pulled her hair. Girls really hate that.

Arito 07-04-2007 09:02 AM

The second half of your post makes you look like a douche.

pa3lsvt 07-04-2007 09:10 AM

Rule #1: DON'T TAP THE GLASS! You, sir, are in violation.

PantsOnFire 07-04-2007 10:22 AM

I think you are misinformed. The dealer only has to count a bet. He has no obligation to tell you how much each player has in his stack. He can only ask players to keep their large chips in plain view. It's up to you to estimate from there.

As an unbiased observer playing at your table I'd say you bullied this player, ragged at bit on the dealer and then later rubbed it in causing a fish to leave the table. That's not very impressive.

The whole thing would have gone down a lot better if you simply checked. Then she would be obligated to push those chips in and then you can ask the dealer for an exact count.

kerowo 07-04-2007 10:35 AM

Maybe your title should be Summers Eve

ocdscale 07-04-2007 11:54 AM

[ QUOTE ]
The second half of your post makes you look like a douche.

[/ QUOTE ]

LuckyTxGuy 07-04-2007 12:41 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
The first and second half of your post makes you look like a douche.

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I don't blame you for wanting an exact count. I think in this situation if I'd really wanted that chip count I would have nicely said "I know it's not the World Series but can you tell me how many chips you have." Problem solved. Also if you know she's got somewhere around $50 that's good enough. If she had $75 it wouldn't have made you fold. So just saying "all-in" would have solved the exact chip count problem. Don't get me wrong, I don't blame you wanting to know and she should have told you without the smart comments. SHE was the one who made the mistake of acting out of turn.

Now as for the getting up out of your chair part.....no way. Not only could it look like you were going to physically attack her, you are leaving your cards unprotected at the table. That is a good way for something crazy to happen and your hand end up in the muck.

As for the last part...totally uncalled for. Bluffing her is fine. Showing the bluff is fine, even though it just shows that you tilt easily and can't let a small thing go from 30 minutes earlier. However the speech was totally uncalled for.

I just think the whole situation was an over reaction by both you and her. Hey you asked!! [img]/images/graemlins/smirk.gif[/img]

Lord_Strife 07-04-2007 01:22 PM

Where I come from a player can request a chip count at any time so if you asked the dealer (in my opinion) should have been obligated to give you an exact amount.

Getting up and counting them yourself is completely out of line and the speech is completely out of line also. Report the dealer to the floor manager because that doesn't make sense to me at all.