Two Plus Two Newer Archives

Two Plus Two Newer Archives (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/index.php)
-   Internet Gambling (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/forumdisplay.php?f=30)
-   -   Blackjack EV Post (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/showthread.php?t=442582)

jschaud 07-04-2007 05:01 AM

Blackjack EV Post

looking for the post where someone mathematically proved that betting larger on the monthly bonuses was +EV rather than betting the min. Was like a year or so ago. Search is kicking my ass because 'EV' is in every other post. Have a rather large, for me, side bet running.

jschaud 07-04-2007 05:02 AM

Re: Blackjack EV Post

I mean the standard littlewoods type bonus where deposit 100 get 100 thing.

Bobo Fett 07-04-2007 05:59 AM

If I recall correctly, it is only slightly more +EV to bet large, and this was because your loss is limited to going bust, while there is no limit on your profit.

The main benefit to betting large is the increased $/hr, but this is at the cost of a higher risk of ruin. The higher risk of ruin is what increases the EV, but I'm pretty sure this increase was small enough that it wouldn't be the deciding factor for most people...it would be outweighed by whether they had the bankroll to tolerate the higher risk in return for the increased $/hr.

vilemerchant 07-04-2007 06:47 AM

The higher risk of ruin means you'll go bust more often.

Going bust more often means in the long term you'll wager less dollars, obviously once you go broke you don't need to finish the wagering.

Wagering less $ means less EV lost to the house edge.

Sciolist 07-04-2007 07:32 AM

[ QUOTE ]

Going bust more often means in the long term you'll wager less dollars, obviously once you go broke you don't need to finish the wagering.

[/ QUOTE ]
The wagering requirements are generally in $ though, so you aren't giving up anything in terms of the house edge. How big are people's units in terms of the money they have on the site? I am taking a break from poker and have done a few BJ bonusses, did one from a $400 "roll" at $5 per bet, doing a $200 one at $3 per bet... Sound sensible? I'm not interested in < $40/hour win rates.

kyleb 07-04-2007 08:28 AM

sciolist,

that is very nitty.

vilemerchant 07-04-2007 08:32 AM

[ QUOTE ]
The wagering requirements are generally in $ though, so you aren't giving up anything in terms of the house edge.

[/ QUOTE ]

What?

Sciolist 07-04-2007 11:15 AM

[ QUOTE ]
sciolist,

that is very nitty.

[/ QUOTE ]
The webpage is telling me to do it in $1 increments! OK, I shall stop feeling bad about doing it 5x higher

Sciolist 07-04-2007 11:16 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
The wagering requirements are generally in $ though, so you aren't giving up anything in terms of the house edge.

[/ QUOTE ]

What?

[/ QUOTE ]
If the playthrough is $10k, the house edge is the same whether I play one $10k hands or 10k $1 hands. It's just the variance that is different, surely?

sonneti 07-04-2007 12:24 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

QFT.