Two Plus Two Newer Archives

Two Plus Two Newer Archives (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/index.php)
-   EDF (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/forumdisplay.php?f=81)
-   -   What does it mean for a band to "kick ass"? (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/showthread.php?t=442075)

Rococo 07-03-2007 02:17 PM

What does it mean for a band to \"kick ass\"?

I'm sure at various points in our lives we all have heard someone (usually a classic rock fan) say that a particular band "kicks ass."

My questions --

1) What are the telltale signs that a band "kicks ass"?

2) Are there particular characteristics that preclude a band from "kicking ass"? For example, is Ted Nugent precluded from kicking ass because, among other reasons, he doesn't drink and destroy hotel rooms?

3) How many bands are properly defined as "kicking ass"? I submit that it is fewer than 20.

Discuss.

Claunchy 07-03-2007 02:47 PM

Re: What does it mean for a band to \"kick ass\"?

If I say a band kicks ass that means I think they're really good. It doesn't have anything to do with their being badasses or anything like that.

Rococo 07-03-2007 02:58 PM

In case it wasn't clear, I am not suggesting that bands that fall into the "ass kicking" category are necessarily good bands.

flatline 07-03-2007 03:07 PM

[ QUOTE ]
If I say a band kicks ass that means I think they're really good. It doesn't have anything to do with their being badasses or anything like that.

[/ QUOTE ]

danzasmack 07-03-2007 03:07 PM

This sounds like a terrible idea for post "non-stop behind the music" VH1.

Dan. 07-03-2007 03:07 PM

huh? It's a purely subjective belief. There's no ass-kicking registrar where you can look up bands.

LionelHutz00 07-03-2007 03:08 PM

[ QUOTE ]
In case it wasn't clear, I am not suggesting that bands that fall into the "ass kicking" category are necessarily good bands.

[/ QUOTE ]

Maybe your definition of kicking ass is different from most people. If someone tells me that a band kicks ass, I definitely get the idea that the person is saying that the band is good.

But there's a caveat there: bands with heavy sounds are more likely to be called kick-ass. Like maybe the top 20% of heavy bands are labeled as kick-ass, and then that number gradually reduces, based on the heaviness of the band. So if someone tells me that an Aimee Mann album kicks ass, then it must be really good.

Duke 07-03-2007 03:16 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Maybe your definition of kicking ass is different from most people. If someone tells me that a band kicks ass, I definitely get the idea that the person is saying that the band is good.

But there's a caveat there: bands with heavy sounds are more likely to be called kick-ass. Like maybe the top 20% of heavy bands are labeled as kick-ass, and then that number gradually reduces, based on the heaviness of the band. So if someone tells me that an Aimee Mann album kicks ass, then it must be really good.

[/ QUOTE ]

I was going to say about the same thing, and compare Anne Murray to Guns N Roses. That was going to be more for the disparity in their style, and not an indication of the quality of her work.

stabn 07-03-2007 03:16 PM

I think maybe you posted this in the wrong forum. Its a very simple question and kicking ass just means that person believes they are [censored] great.

Duke 07-03-2007 03:20 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I think maybe you posted this in the wrong forum. Its a very simple question and kicking ass just means that person believes they are [censored] great.

[/ QUOTE ]

The only subtlety is the idea that saying that some new age group kicks ass would be akin to saying that a little old lady is baller, yo.