Two Plus Two Newer Archives

Two Plus Two Newer Archives (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/index.php)
-   Full Ring (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/forumdisplay.php?f=80)
-   -   $25 NL - Hit set on river, should I bother raising here? (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/showthread.php?t=435703)

CazicT 06-25-2007 01:58 PM

$25 NL - Hit set on river, should I bother raising here?

Only 33 hands on Villian: 39.39/12.12/1.33

PokerStars No-Limit Hold'em, $0.25 BB (8 handed) Hand History Converter Tool from FlopTurnRiver.com (Format: 2+2 Forums)

MP1 ($28.70)
MP2 ($9.10)
Hero ($23.50)
Button ($25.35)
SB ($23.40)
BB ($11.60)
UTG ($26.30)
UTG+1 ($8.75)

Preflop: Hero is CO with 7[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], 7[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img].
<font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, UTG+1 calls $0.25, <font color="#666666">2 folds</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises to $1</font>, <font color="#666666">2 folds</font>, BB calls $0.75, UTG+1 folds.

Flop: ($2.35) 3[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], K[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], 5[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
BB checks, <font color="#CC3333">Hero bets $1.5</font>, BB calls $1.50.

Turn: ($5.35) 6[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
BB checks, Hero checks.

River: ($5.35) 7[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">BB bets $2</font>, Hero ...

BigBiceps 06-25-2007 02:12 PM

Re: $25 NL - Hit set on river, should I bother raising here?

No.

tgo007 06-25-2007 02:34 PM

since villian is short, I would be willing to raise and put him all in. Hopefully he calls with top pair or something.

threads13 06-25-2007 02:40 PM

I don't mind a raise here. I think at this level you will see villains stack off with a weak K. A flush is the only hand you are worried about here. He may play K like this, as well as other PP's. I think he will likely call with decent K's.

I don't mind calling though. I think it is pretty marginal.

Edit: What about betting the turn?

KurtSF 06-25-2007 02:58 PM

One thing I've learned is not to get into a pissing match when one card can beat you (any 4).

Plus with the flush out it makes a good part of his range that beats you, and also makes it less likely a TP hand will call a raise. So raising gets more money from villain into the pot when he's got better hand than you.

Nice river. I just call.

subzero 06-25-2007 03:02 PM

He only has 7BB left. I'd raise. Shortstack donk factor means he can easily have a 2nd best hand here.

threads13 06-25-2007 03:21 PM

[ QUOTE ]
One thing I've learned is not to get into a pissing match when one card can beat you (any 4).

Plus with the flush out it makes a good part of his range that beats you, and also makes it less likely a TP hand will call a raise. So raising gets more money from villain into the pot when he's got better hand than you.

Nice river. I just call.

[/ QUOTE ]

I didn't notice the straight possibility. That changes my answer a bit.

However, I don't think you should be too worried about a straight being in there that much. We have a limited read against a player that is loose, but not THAT loose. Having said that, I don't think a 4 is a very big part of his range.

CazicT 06-25-2007 03:34 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I don't think a 4 is a very big part of his range.

[/ QUOTE ]

I don't think it is a big part of his overall range, but it is a big part of his range if he will call a raise isn't it?

I think I agree with the idea that he won't call with too much that isn't a straight or a flush AND he hasn't really played the hand like someone with KQ would even if you can assume he would call a bet with KQ.

This was kinda the reasoning I used to call rather than raise.

threads13 06-25-2007 03:59 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
I don't think a 4 is a very big part of his range.

[/ QUOTE ]

I don't think it is a big part of his overall range, but it is a big part of his range if he will call a raise isn't it?

I think I agree with the idea that he won't call with too much that isn't a straight or a flush AND he hasn't really played the hand like someone with KQ would even if you can assume he would call a bet with KQ.

This was kinda the reasoning I used to call rather than raise.

[/ QUOTE ]

I understand what you are getting at. It really depends on whether or not you think this guy will call a raise with a K or MP. If not, then a call is best. I don't mind a call at all.