Two Plus Two Newer Archives

Two Plus Two Newer Archives (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/index.php)
-   MTT Strategy (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/forumdisplay.php?f=25)
-   -   What to do with this AA against a big turn bet? (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/showthread.php?t=433789)

jfletcher 06-22-2007 10:50 PM

What to do with this AA against a big turn bet?

Live tourney, 3K starting chips, blinds at 25-50. This is the 6th hand so I have no reliable read on anyone.

I have AA in the SB. An EP limps and the CO limps. I raise to 250. EP folds and CO calls.

Pot is 600. Flop comes K64, rainbow. I bet 300. CO calls.

Pot is 1200. Turn is a 5. I bet 600. CO raises to 1600. I have 1600 left in my stack (I'll have 600 left if I call).

It's pretty much fold or push, since I'll have to be all in on the river, right?

So what do you think?

TroutMaskReplica 06-22-2007 11:15 PM

Re: What to do with this AA against a big turn bet?

push. how are you going to fold this?

8Adam8 06-22-2007 11:18 PM

Just stick it in.

He has 44 or 66 sometimes, but there are soooo many other hands in his range that you cant fold

jfletcher 06-22-2007 11:38 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Just stick it in.

He has 44 or 66 sometimes, but there are soooo many other hands in his range that you cant fold

[/ QUOTE ]

Don't you think that a good one-pair hand (like KQ) would be more likely to raise on the flop?

8Adam8 06-22-2007 11:40 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Just stick it in.

[/ QUOTE ]

Don't you think that a good one-pair hand (like KQ) would be more likely to raise on the flop?

[/ QUOTE ]

not necessarily..

Unknowns can do all sorts of things.

TroutMaskReplica 06-22-2007 11:42 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Just stick it in.

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

no offense - what?

jfletcher 06-22-2007 11:52 PM

All I meant that was a one-pair hand like that is not usually the kind you'd want to slowplay. I would think you'd want to find out where you stood quickly, in case you were against AA, KK or AK, if you had a hand like KQ-KT or even QQ-88

Villain's play looks like he slowplayed something on the flop (a set) or else the turn somehow helped him.

I could be wrong. I'm just throwng it out there.

Also, does you opinion change at all if this is a $1.5K buyin at the WSOP?

jfletcher 06-23-2007 09:36 AM

By the way, this was a $1.5K buyin at the WSOP.

Seems to me that decreases the chance that villain is betting a weak, one pair, hand here. He doesn't want to bust early and his bet looks like it wants a call.

I would also think that if he did have a semi-bluff type hand (like 75, flopped oesd, picked up a pair on the turn), he'd want to push the turn to maximize his folding equity.

Larude 06-23-2007 12:20 PM

This guy must pay 200 to try to stack you. I think that is a long way for suited connector, certainly for a suited one gapper getting 1:15. It certainly looks like he is calling with a small pair or midpair. Tournament with a high payin almost no one is going to mess around with Kx after a raise. Besides there is a good point that with KQ a raise from the CO to get it HU is def. a more logical move. I can't see why a guy with KQ wouldn't raise that preflop on the CO, but would call a raise with it, makes no sense at all!!!

Playing this flop you are either WA/WB and you are OOP so for starters I would check here and see what this guy does; the flop is pretty dry. If he has a set he might check behind fearing you had JJ or QQ-AQ-TT and hit nothing. If he has a K or a midpair i think he will probe bet here, which you ofcourse will call. He might bet with his sets also, no problem. Then on the turn I would check to him again, if he checks, I would valuebet the river, if he bets again I would call again; on the river then either block or check again. With no reads I would be very cautious especially when you know I HAVE it, but are my aces get cracked... As played everything comes to the point do I see him as a decent player or not? I would give him credit as long as I have not seen otherwise and lay it down (although we all think push push and then afterwards we say yeah I knew he had to have a set).

jfletcher 06-23-2007 04:02 PM

Larude, I see no reason to check this flop. I raised before the flop and I have every reason to believe I have the best hand on the flop.

It's when he calls me on a relatively drawless board that red flags need to go up a bit.

I suppose checking the turn might be a reasonable play, but I don't want to open the door for him to make a big bluff that is goign to knock me off the winning hand. I want to still show that I'm strong, so that if he then raises me, I know (or at least, I think I know) that he is very strong.

In short, I feel like my flop and turn bets were correct. I just want to know what my response should be to his turn raise.