Two Plus Two Newer Archives

Two Plus Two Newer Archives (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/index.php)
-   Beginners Questions (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/forumdisplay.php?f=34)
-   -   Moving up, Moving on, and Moving out; Adios Beginners Forum! (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/showthread.php?t=431341)

WCGRider 06-19-2007 11:52 PM

Moving up, Moving on, and Moving out; Adios Beginners Forum!

Hello fellow 2p2 posters, today i bring you a tale of success. No i do no make tens of thousands of dollars. No i do not win massive mtt's to take home huge wads of cash. And no, my PT BB is not 99ptbb/100 (Ok that part is a joke ;p.). But alas, I have done my time, and I am moving on.

Perhaps most of you don't know me or remember me, but here is a thread made by a very sad, hopeless, dejected me. Reaching the End of my Rope. I had gone through over the course of about a year, a few hundred dollars, and was at the point where i just couldn't take it any more. So then i had a genius idea. i would talk to every good 2p2 player that i could find, and ask you questions about what you play and try to learn. I would try to find out everything i could, and i would hunt you guys down and ask you questions. Its to the point where, I promise you, if your name has appeared on any aim list on this site, its on my buddy list. (160 names lol) So i began to message you guys, with to be frank, limited success. Some of you were truly awesome to me, and i still talk to to this day. Some of you were like "hi ill message you later" and that was it. Not that i blame you, but as a noob you have to do what you have to do to make it through.

So now that I had talked to so many good players, i began to learn. I would watch you guys at any opportunity, and learn really solid fundamentals. I would go to Barnes and Noble, and because i am strapped for cash, i would spend hours just reading there and then head home. And when I got home, i would study and read these forums.

So about a week went by, and I felt that it was time to give it the final shot. This was going to be it now, it was make or break time. However, it was going to be make or break with smart decisions. If you read the prior thread, i was down to about 30$. Now you want to play with about 20x your bankroll, but i decided to sit down with 2$ at a time. I would SINGLE TABLE 1/2 cent with TWO DOLLARS. Yes, that is correct. And you know what i found? I started winning. A lot. Over my first 5k hands @ 1/2 cent, I was making about 15 ptbb per 100 hands. Then, It doubled. i was up to 30 by about the 10k hands point. When i got up to 40$ i began to add in tables, starting with dual tabling. I would make sure poker tracker and game time were running, and would take notes. I was not going to go broke again. Then i started adding more tables, and well, lets put this in perspective with a graph.

http://img74.imageshack.us/img74/1740/myjourneygq8.jpg

Notice the lowest point in the graph, thats when i was playing like 25$ NL, and was a complete nubcake. The section after the low? I studied and came here and read every day. EVERY DAY. All day, i would read study, and watch. Nonstop, I was GOING To win, it was a matter of selecting my time to attack.

So eventually, i was 12 tabling 1/2 cent, and my ptbb per 100 was continuing to climb. Alas it finally settled down to a "paltry" 27 ptbb/100, but still fairly solid after about 30k hands. (Call it nothing, i dont really care, past the point of saying it means nothing.)

Now i didnt really want to show the next graph, because to be honest, its really humbling, but I think im going to anyway.
http://img511.imageshack.us/img511/3...ydollarvu3.jpg

If you think the lines look really huge at the end, that was from 8 tabling 25$ NL I've recently moved up to, but dont worry about me, I've got the roll and i KNOW that i can do it, its just a matter of time.

Can you imagine looking at yourself when you were at that low, and saying i know i can do better then that. It was really an experience i cant beleieve i went through, from that low to being able to save my game, really something incredible for me.

But i didn't just play Cash games, as perhaps I "should" of, because there were people of many different talents showing me the ropes of tourneys and SnG's as well. I think a shark skope is in order here. (Remember, the low point is when i made the post here.

http://img401.imageshack.us/img401/3...rkscopedw9.png

So i turned it around. I now have about a 600$ roll thanks to a qualification to the Sunday warm up and a few good MTT places, and i don't expect it to be going anywhere but up (long term of course, we all know how the short term can go : p).

Now, some advice for all you little newbies out there just starting up. THE MOST IMPORTANT THING YOU CAN DO, IS NOT FEEL YOUR TOO IMPORTANT TO PLAY 1/2 CENT. Playing 1/2 cent is absolutely essential if your new to poker. Its cheap, you can get in for 250 bb deep, play against retarded noobs, and make money. Period, thats what you should be doing. Dont even do 2/5 cent, the play is actually much better then 1/2 cent (again at the risk of being laughed at.), and you cant buy in as deep.

If SnG's and MTT's are your deal, then play them, within your roll, and play to learn. I have recently done a lot in regards to ICM in MTT's and STT's, and ive managed to get some solid fundamentals for those game types. Now i understand what im doing and why.

So remember, play within your bankroll, learn the game, and watch the players better then you. Everything else will come with time, and a world of poker awaits me. But now im ready for it, and i hope its ready for me : D.

(Btw thx to the following people (the start of their aim names))

Learned...
Stfudot....
firewall...
bry....
and anyone else who responded to me along the way. Ill see everyone else @ the tables.

And if anyone wants to talk to me, my aim is MrPresidentPolk. If i didn't help continue the cycle, i wouldn't be much of a forum member would I?

OziBattler 06-20-2007 12:51 AM

Re: Moving up, Moving on, and Moving out; Adios Beginners Forum!

I didnt reply to that previous thread and we never talked via aim or whatever but none the less I wish to say congratulations. Stories like this are really great for showing what can be accomplished when gets their mind right, is humble and applies themselves to focusing on learning the game. Please dont totally leave beginners though...feel free to drop back in and assist with helping others get threw noobie growing pains. ozi.

In the Zone 06-20-2007 01:07 AM

Great post, very motivational. I'd like to message you on AIM. Also if someone wants to talk poker with someone on AIM feel free to send me a private message with your screen name.

KineticAA 06-20-2007 01:32 AM

Excellent post! I, for one, am now motivated. Thank you.

KineticAA

Eucrid 06-20-2007 05:15 AM

Great, great post. Well done. Brilliant attitude.

Fishonaquest 06-20-2007 09:23 AM

Great post, I for myself am learning the game right now and I am fortunate that I have a experienced friend who I can watch playing Poker. I am currently rolled the same you are and playing NL10. Atm I am in learning phase I never had before (not even for uni)..I print out Essays/Posts and read them twice. I read a lot of HH and just recently started posting myself. My Graph doesn't look that good, but I am working on it...your post is another great motivation for me.

LordBrun 06-20-2007 09:29 AM

This post is gold for every player struggling to improve his or her game. vnh sir

Fishonaquest - I really like the idea of printing out good posts. I just have to get a printer first [img]/images/graemlins/tongue.gif[/img]

estoysinblanca 06-20-2007 01:08 PM

[ QUOTE ]
This post is gold for every player struggling to improve his or her game. vnh sir

[/ QUOTE ]

Thanks! Great motivation!

CMS79 06-20-2007 02:25 PM

Thanks for the post. It hit at a perfect time. I'm "Reaching the end of my rope" right now. I have already started to make the transition to learn the game by spending more time studying and reviewing. I've always been nervous about posting on the site, but it's time to leave the cave and learn something.

mmbossman 06-20-2007 03:13 PM

I too had this post come at just the right time, and it has motivated me yet again to try to look at this game from a different perspective. I see so much of myself in your previous end o' da rope post, and seeing that it is possible to grind up from .01/.02 has given me enough hope to keep at it. Thank you very much, and don't be surprised to see a couple messages from me on AIM sometime over the summer. Once again, from a noob to a used to be noob, many thanks.