Two Plus Two Newer Archives

Two Plus Two Newer Archives (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/index.php)
-   Tournament Circuit/WSOP (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/forumdisplay.php?f=67)
-   -   $5K Heads-Up Today at the Rio (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/showthread.php?t=430928)

TheGuillotine 06-19-2007 01:54 PM

$5K Heads-Up Today at the Rio

This might be the coolest event at this year's WSOP. Any predicitions?

NickMPK 06-19-2007 02:21 PM

Re: $5K Heads-Up Today at the Rio

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Like the NBC heads-up championship, a single-elimination heads-up tournament will be decided much more by luck than by skill. My prediction is that it will be won by someone you've never heard of. Approximately 48% of the "big names" will lose in the first round.

TheGuillotine 06-19-2007 03:04 PM

I completely understand the luck element of a single-elimination HU NLHE event, but I'm really pulling for someone you've never heard of to take it down considering my stake in them...

New2NL 06-19-2007 03:06 PM

SB FTW

Cornell Fiji 06-19-2007 04:13 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Like every single poker tournament ever held, a single-elimination heads-up tournament will be decided much more by luck than by skill. My prediction is that it will be won by someone you've never heard of.

[/ QUOTE ]

FYP

sirtimo 06-19-2007 04:41 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Like the NBC heads-up championship, a single-elimination heads-up tournament will be decided much more by luck than by skill. My prediction is that it will be won by someone you've never heard of. Approximately 48% of the "big names" will get a bye in the first round.

[/ QUOTE ]

FYP

Stupid, stupid, stupid structure to have about a third of the field get a bye in the 1st round. I know they are doing it to get a 'perfect bracket' but they should make everyone play except 1 bye in the first few rounds until they get the field down to somewhere around 64 *then* they can adjust the number of byes to line up the brackets.

Ontario_Tory 06-19-2007 04:53 PM

[ QUOTE ]
they should make everyone play except 1 bye in the first few rounds until they get the field down to somewhere around 64 *then* they can adjust the number of byes to line up the brackets.

[/ QUOTE ]

You really think it'd be better to have a few people have bye's in the middle / end of the tourney - closer to the $$$ - than at the very beginning?

I think the scenario where 'everybody who plays in the 1st round pays 1/2 the buyin (treating round 1 as sats into the tourney) is a better option than a ton of bye's, but your suggestion (if I understand it correctly) is way way worse...

Cornell Fiji 06-19-2007 04:54 PM

[ QUOTE ]

Stupid, stupid, stupid structure to have about a third of the field get a bye in the 1st round. I know they are doing it to get a 'perfect bracket' but they should make everyone play except 1 bye in the first few rounds until they get the field down to somewhere around 64 *then* they can adjust the number of byes to line up the brackets.

[/ QUOTE ]

Please explain to me mathematically how it would be more fair to give people a bye in later rounds (against presumably slightly better competition) than it would in the first round.

The lack of brainpower often exhibited in the non strategy forums truly amazes me sometimes.

Also... for the above average player your ROI should increase if you have to play a 1st round match for 1/2 the buy in. Giving 'pros' (whatever that means) a bye in the first round would be doing them a disservice.

TheGuillotine 06-19-2007 04:59 PM

When I made my original post, I was assuming that they actually had 512 entrants confirmed. The only solution now is to cap this event at 256 and make it a 10K next year.

Ditch Digger 06-19-2007 05:11 PM

[ QUOTE ]
When I made my original post, I was assuming that they actually had 512 entrants confirmed. The only solution now is to cap this event at 256 and make it a 10K next year.

[/ QUOTE ]

Capping it is dumb. They announced it several times that some people will be getting a bye first round. If one does not like that then they don't have to play.