Two Plus Two Newer Archives

Two Plus Two Newer Archives (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/index.php)
-   Small Stakes Limit (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/forumdisplay.php?f=19)
-   -   Should I bring this JJ to showdown or not? (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/showthread.php?t=430218)

Jantjebeton 06-18-2007 04:02 PM

Should I bring this JJ to showdown or not?

One of my leaks is that I fold too many hands after the flop; The percentage of showdowns I see is too low.
I folded the following hand, was it worth going to showdown?
Opponent is unknown

Poker Room skin
Limit Holdem Ring game
Limit: $2/$4
7 players
Converter

Pre-flop: (7 players) Hero is Button with J[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] J[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]
UTG calls, <font color="#cc0000">UTG+1 raises</font>, 2 folds, <font color="#cc0000">Hero 3-bets</font>, 3 folds, UTG+1 calls.

Flop: 6[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] 9[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] 2[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] (8.5SB, 2 players)
UTG+1 checks, <font color="#cc0000">Hero bets</font>, UTG+1 calls.

Turn: A[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] (5.25BB, 2 players)
UTG+1 checks, <font color="#cc0000">Hero bets</font>, <font color="#cc0000">UTG+1 raises</font>, Hero ?

BigBadBabar 06-18-2007 04:34 PM

Re: Should I bring this JJ to showdown or not?

bleh, seems like we're toast here

PokerJans 06-18-2007 04:41 PM

Playing online I would imagine ths is closer than it is playing live. However I think we are cooked.

The question is do we just fold on the turn, or call and evaluate on the river? I used to just throw in the towel on the turn I think calling and waiting until the river is sometimes better. Thoughts?

BigBadBabar 06-18-2007 05:01 PM

well what river cards change the evaluation? just the two jacks? i mean i guess if more overcards come it's easier to fold, or if a heart or spade fall, but even if a total blank falls are we happy calling this?

BigBadBabar 06-18-2007 05:02 PM

i just think raise preflop, check call, check raise is a pretty strong line when the ace falls

synbad13 06-18-2007 05:21 PM

without a read I think you can fold this.

One line to take... if you think you're going to fold to a raise and are curious - you can check behind the turn and call a river bet (costs you the same and you get a showdown). I don't really think this is a better play, as it gives flush/pair draws a chance to beat you... but it's an acceptable line IMO if you're curious.

James. 06-18-2007 07:55 PM

this particular hand is probably a fold, but i feel as if it's closer than it first appears. usually the fact villain raised in such early position would indicate a strong hand. conversely, your reraising in such late position could mean a bit weaker holding. all of that being said, he would need exactly K [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]Q [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] to have picked up a heart draw and a spade draw would usually give more action on the flop. getting 4.5ish to 1(effectively) isn't usually going to be good enough to call down here. make it 5.5-1 and i likely would.

atnels 06-18-2007 08:07 PM

How often do you think hands that the Hero beats are betting the river following a turn check behind given the action so far? Maybe TT? A busted spade draw might bet if Hero checks behind, but I think 80%+ of hands that bet the river beat JJ.

All things considered, I think I fold to the c/r.

HoneyBadger 06-18-2007 09:23 PM

*grunch* Quick fold.

BigBadBabar 06-18-2007 09:28 PM

yea thank you honey badgar, i'm not sure what magical hand we're putting opponent on, other than a nice bluff, that makes this close.